Full Time Outreach Worker (Reaching Home)
The John Howard Society of the Lower Mainland (JHS) is a non-profit organization which provides the opportunity to work with purpose, and impact change in your community. We are a dynamic, innovative social service organization that strives to create safe, healthy, and inclusive communities for all. We do this through a continuum of programs which provide assistance with housing, life-skills, education, employment, and community-based services, with the goal of helping individuals achieve greater independence.
This position will provide intensive supports and services to individuals experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness in a flexible, compassionate, and responsible manner.
Monday to Friday, 0900-1630, 37.5 hours per week.
This position requires the ability to work flexible hours during the daytime, evenings, and weekends based on operational needs and program requirements.
- Assists individuals with locating and securing safe and affordable housing
- Provides individuals with the support to maintain housing through landlord-tenant mediation
- Works in collaboration with the client to formulate a comprehensive service plan that is reviewed and modified with client on a regular basis
- Provides outreach, case management, counseling, advocacy, and other needed services to clients in any environment including: the streets, shelters, hospitals, institutions, apartments, and office
- Provides individually tailored services to each client—i.e. housing placement, independent living skills, vocational guidance, appointment escorts, information and access to integrated substance use treatment and counselling including, family, relationship, parenting
- Maintains written and computerized records, compiles reports and completes other program documentation (including case notes, statistics, letters, available file information, etc.) in accordance with the policy and procedures manuals of the society and in accordance with funder requirements
- Supports and provides services for all clients who have histories of homelessness and lived experiences of facing multiple barriers such as substance abuse, mental health, involvement in the criminal justice system, and trauma
- Initiates, coordinates and monitors referrals to community services, and advocates client participation in them
- Creates, builds, and fosters partnerships with housing providers and landlords
- Educates, informs and advocates for clients regarding benefits and entitlements (social assistance, rental subsidies, employment supports, low income services i.e. food bank and food stamps)
- Participates in staff meetings and meetings with project community partners as instructed by the Program Manager
- Other duties as subsequently negotiated
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a proven ability to work within a fast-paced, growth-focused environment. The ideal candidate has:
- A diploma and/or a degree in the social or behavioural sciences
- Combination of work experience in the social services sector particularly, working with federal or provincial clients in a correctional environment or on a supervised release; acquired knowledge of the continuum of housing and barriers to accessing safe and affordable rental markets; and serving socially marginalized or disadvantaged populations with complex and multifaceted needs
- Patience, creativity, flexibility, and compassion
- Demonstrated and clear ability to respond well in crisis situations
- Sensitivity to the unique needs of those of Aboriginal ancestry and ethno-cultural groups, and persons with disabilities
- Ability to deal with potential violence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to successfully complete a Criminal Records Check
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate
- Class 5 driver’s license
Range is $21.92 to $ 25.53 per hour as per the collective agreement
WHAT WE OFFER?
- Opportunity to work with purpose for nonprofit organization
- Great work environment
- Competitive benefits
- Chance to grow in a diverse range of programs
- Internal training and development opportunities
JHS welcomes applications from all qualified applicants including but not limited by those of any sex, race, orientation, or disability. Multilingual skills and multicultural competence are assets.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the subject line “Outreach Worker (Reaching Home)”
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $21.92-$25.53 per hour
- Dental Care
- Extended Health Care
- Wellness Program
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday