Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this position is expected to work on-site.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
To implement secure, cost-effective computing technology solutions for our business partners. To provide attentive, friendly, high quality technical support to our customers, solving their issues in a timely fashion.
The Manager, Systems Operations is accountable for the governance, design, development, implementation, reliability, availability, security and day-to-day operation of the Housing & Ancillary Services network, server systems and web hosting environment. The Manager directs, coaches and prioritizes the work of a Systems Administrator and other computing services staff who are engaged in Network Operations projects, duties and tasks. The Manager also functions as an advisor to both Client Support Services and Web Services within Housing and Ancillary Services, providing technical and professional mentoring and a resource for technical issues arising from either. Each member of the Computing Services team is committed to providing a safe, reliable and secure computing and mobile environment for administrative staff.
- Undergraduate degree or college diploma in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field
- Honours degree in Information Systems, Computer Science preferred
- Project management certification (PMP or equivalent) and/or Certified in Management preferred
- Industry Certifications (e.g. CCNA, MCSE, CNA) preferred
- Certified in Management (CIM) designation or equivalent preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 7 years of experience in a networking technology environment
- 5 years of project management experience
- 5 years of experience managing virtualized environments
- 5 years of experience managing Storage Area Networks (SAN)
- Experience with ITIL best practices for IT Service Management
- Technical experience in an educational Institution preferred
- Experience with CBORD Food Service systems preferred
- ITIL V3 Foundation certification or equivalent preferred
- Two years of experience providing phone, email and face-to-face technical and customer service support to administrative staff in a business or educational environment preferred
- In depth knowledge of Network and Systems Operations, as well as enterprise level network & systems security
- In depth knowledge of enterprise class server software (Windows, Linux, Novell)
- Knowledge of hardware, software and network connectivity troubleshooting
- Proficient in Directory services, VMWARE, VLANs, routing/switching, CIDR, SANs, WAFs and routing protocols
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to translate complex technical concepts into understandable terms and to tailor communications to various types of audiences
- Project management skills to ensure team roles are clear, milestones are communicated and deadlines are met
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills as well as great attention to detail
- Knowledge of the concepts and application of network, server and workstation security
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments and adapt efficiently to emerging priorities
- Ability to interact and build successful relationships with a diverse team and clientele
- Must have a valid driver’s licence
Please note, successful applicants may be required to produce current record check(s) (e.g. criminal record) from a police service prior to commencing employment.
Please note, successful applicants will be required to complete a credit check satisfactory to the employer.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.