Youth Worker, Young Women’s Shelter
Coordinator, Young Women’s Shelter
Emergency Casual Part Time
Bargaining Unit Status:
English is essential; French is an asset
November 30th, 2021
Founded in 1960, the Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa (YSB) is one of the largest and most comprehensive non-profit agencies in Ottawa and a registered charity. It provides mental health services, employment programs, emergency shelter, community, health and housing services, and justice programs to youth in the Ottawa area, serving between 2,500 and 3,000 at‑risk individuals aged 12+ and their families every month. YSB employs 350 caring professionals in a unionized environment in over 26 locations across Ottawa.
Under the general direction of the Director of Community Services and the immediate supervision of the Coordinator of the Shelter, the Shelter Worker will provide immediate and responsive crisis support to the youth accessing the shelter as well as provide general support services and contribute to stable housing for youth in accordance with policies and directives established within YSB.
What you will do:
This opportunity may be right for you if you have:
- Assess requests for residential shelter services according to YSB policies and procedures and ensure alternatives are found if YSB services are not appropriate
- Conduct intake and discharge processes for youth accessing the Shelter
- Deliver individual, crisis intervention and assessment services
- Respond to crisis situations when required
- Support youth in accessing services within and beyond YSB
- Consult with other professionals involved with youth, including within YSB
- Ensure the effective day-to-day operations of the shelter and maintain general cleanliness of the property
- Assist residents of the shelter with cooperative living guidelines, including mediation and conflict resolution
- Be responsive to immediate needs of residents such as: getting their medications, access to food supplies, bus tickets etc.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge on current issues relating to youth
- Ensure familiarity with pertinent legislation
- Attend and participate in supervision and staff meetings
- Contribute to program and service development and evaluation
- Participate in identified training to ensure ongoing development of skills and abilities
- Ensure both electronic and physical client files are maintained and current within established guidelines
- May be required to supervise part time staff, students or volunteers
- Follows safe work practices as established by YSB and the program
What we offer:
- Diploma or degree in social work or relevant field
- Two years’ experience working with youth, preferably in a residential setting
- Ability to work rotational shifts, including weekends and overnights
- Oral & written fluency in English is essential; Oral fluency in French is considered an asset
- An opportunity to join a vibrant team and be part of truly meaningful and rewarding work;
- Competitive wages and optional benefits plan
- Optional Pension plan from Day 1;
- An evolving environment where we tackle new challenges and continue learning every day.
If you think this vacancy is a good fit, we would love to hear from you. Please visit the career section of our website to submit your resume and one-page cover letter. Don’t just tell us what we want to hear, tell us your story and why you would make a great addition to our team.
We know applying to a job takes time and thank all candidates for their interest. While we are not able to get back to every candidate, we will ensure shortlisted applicants are aware of their status and will do our best to provide feedback if that can be helpful.
At YSB, we are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ community and/or people with intersectional identities. Accommodation will be made available for applicants with a disability throughout the hiring process, kindly make your needs known in advance. This position is client facing. Due to COVID19 protocols, the selected candidate will be required to wear PPE for long periods of time.