Title of Position: Camp Counsellor
Term: July 06 - August 20, 2021
Location: 460 Munroe Ave. Winnipeg
Start date: July 06 (Training), 2021
Frontier College is a national, non-profit literacy organization that was founded in 1899. We work with children, teens, adults, and families who need help to improve their literacy skills. We work with a variety of community-based organizations to deliver volunteer-run, community-based programs across Canada. Frontier College is accredited under the Imagine Canada Standards program.
We are seeking mature, responsible, committed, and self-motivated individual to fill 1 Camp Counsellor position in our Elmwood Summer Literacy Camp program is offered in collaboration with Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation and Elmwood Community Resource Centre.
During the Summer Literacy Camp, the Camp Counsellor is expected to work together with other Camp Counsellors as a small, independent team to deliver a diverse array of indoor and outdoor literacy-based camp activities in a safe, caring, and fun-filled environment.
The Camp Counsellor will report directly to the MB Community Coordinator and/or the Regional Manager MB/SK. During the Summer Literacy Camp, the Camp Counsellor while practicing social distancing will work very closely as a team with the other Camp Counselors under the remote mentoring and supervision of the MB Community Coordinator and/or the Regional Manager MB/SK with Frontier College.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with preparing Summer Literacy Camp each day as per the health guidelines for day camps. Following guidelines throughout the day as needed
- Assist with the registration of participants
- Day to day planning & facilitating of literacy embedded activities to a small group of children between the ages of 5-12
- Incorporate literacy-based learning in daily activities and encourage the exploration of learning and reading
- Maintaining positive relationships with community members/caregivers and encourage their participation in camp
- Recruit and schedule community members, parents, and caregivers to be guests at the camp
- Maintain accurate camp records on a daily and weekly basis
- Gathering feedback from caregivers, parents, community members, & campers via the surveys/testimonials
- Promote the safety and wellbeing of all participants during camp hours
- Ensuring all program directives and procedures are followed correctly and accurately
- Attend and participate in all camp orientation, training, and evaluation
- Other duties as assigned by Frontier College
Skills and Attributes
- Minimum 18 years old
- A positive, friendly, and approachable disposition
- Adaptable, self-motivated, responsible, and enthusiastic individual
- Superior planning, organizational, and time-management skills
- Able to work within a team environment and with different personalities/working styles, even in challenging situations
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to manage challenging behaviors within a large group setting
- Demonstrated experience working with groups of children and/or youth
- Experience working with children or youth in an educational setting or summer camp setting
- Possess Standard/Emergency First Aid certification, which is valid for the duration of the employment
Screening & Selection:
Candidates will be screened through:
- Interview - virtual
- Reference Checks (names & phone numbers of 3 references will be required)
- Criminal Record Check (CRC) with a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) will be required
*Successful candidates are required to provide a current CRC (new or not older than 6 months from the term start date) with vulnerable sector search. Frontier College will cover the cost of the CRC and VSC (a receipt must be provided)*
$15.00/hour for 35 hours per week
Monday – Friday: 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
July 6th – 9th, 2020 (Mandatory for all staff)
Training will be held either in person at 460 Munroe or virtually through the zoom meeting platform.
For more information about Frontier College visit www.frontiercollege.ca
You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from diverse individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code. We are committed to integration and maintaining the independence of individuals and removing barriers to accessibility in the workplace. We are committed to full compliance with theHuman Rights Code, theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, theOccupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation. We invite applicants to request accommodation, as required, throughout the application and hiring process.
Contract length: 7 weeks
Application deadline: 2021-05-28
Expected start date: 2021-07-06
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $15.00 per hour