DIGITAL LAB SUMMARY
The Digital Lab is an integrated unit of both BC Children's Hospital and the UBC Faculty of Medicine's Department of Pediatrics. In alignment with the vision of both organizations, we produce digital projects across the spectrum of pediatric health, including research, education, health advocacy, and the delivery of clinical services. Our fundamental goal is to leverage digital innovation to advance child health and improve the lives of children and their families.
The Intermediate Developer will help influence the portfolio’s technical strategy by making insightful contributions to priorities and approach, setting the standard for engineering and architecture, with a continuous focus on improvement, identifying bottlenecks that stifle innovation and productivity. This role primarily serves as an experienced full-stack developer and will be responsible for writing quality code, QAing, troubleshooting, and mentoring of junior developers within the team.
Structurally, the role serves as an Intermediate Developer within the broader portfolio known as Planning, Projects, and Innovation, which is an integrated portfolio with UBC Department of Pediatrics and BC Children's Hospital (BCCH). Within this portfolio, certain projects and activities are structured through the entity known as the ‘Digital Lab’ which is branded as a distinct innovation catalyst lab focused on accelerating and enabling the development, adoption, dissemination, and evaluation, of digital innovations across BCCH, UBC Pediatrics, and its partners. The incumbent will work closely with Development Lead for the development pillar within the portfolio, working in close collaboration with other partnered functional leads (i.e. product management and design, research and evaluation, biomedical engineering, project management, etc.).
- Write well-designed, testable, efficient code by using software development best practices.
- Create responsive web user interfaces by using HTML5/CSS3/Bootstrap4/Angular7.
- Integrate data from various back-end services through RESTful APIs.
- Collaborate with designers to match visual design intent.
- Develop or validate test routines to ensure that test cases mimic external interfaces and address all browser and device types.
- Investigate product defects, identify and fix root causes, test and deploy fixes.
- Contribute to ongoing improvement of team practices and procedures.
- Participate in all Scrum practices: sprint planning, daily standups, estimation, backlog grooming, sprint demos and retrospectives.
- Perform other duties related to the position as required.
- Education equivalent to BA/BS in computer science, or related experience
- 2+ years of progressive experience within a software/development team or a similar operating environment
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Interest in mentoring junior developers
- Experience with back-end technologies: PHP/Laravel, Python/Django preferred
- Knowledge of CSS pre-processors (SASS/LESS)
- Good understanding of REST APIs and how to properly consume them
- Experience with Angular 2+
- Experience with Ionic (particularly legacy versions) preferred
- Dev/sys-ops experience: AWS/Azure/Linux (RedHat or Ubuntu) preferred
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to prioritize, communicate clearly and compellingly, and work to a high level of focus and excellence with a strong team
- Ability to execute against project plans and delivery commitments within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- Please note: This role typically works onsite at our office space at BC Children’s Hospital, but due to current circumstances, this role will start in a work from home situation.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $60,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
- Web Development: 1 year (Required)
- Vancouver, BC (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19