Job Inventory - Waste Collection Operators
Competition posting date:
Competition closing date:
Public Works & Environmental Services Department, Solid Waste Services, Collections Operations Branch
Full-time Continuous Positions - 40 hours/week
CUPE 503 Inside/Outside
$53,341.60 annually (2019 rates of pay)
2799 Swansea Crescent
Operations and Trades
Applications received will be used to staff current and on-going requirements up to 31 January
Responsible for operating vehicles and equipment and performing general labour in the collection and
disposal of trash, brush, organics, solid waste or recycling materials (blue/black boxes).
Education & Experience
Completion of Grade 10
A minimum of two (2) years of recycling and refuse collection experience is required. Additional years of
driving heavy road equipment may offset years of experience in the waste collection industry.
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for
stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
Must have a valid unrestricted Class ''DZ'' driver's license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6
demerit points accumulated.
English oral, reading, writing required
- Practices, equipment and vehicles used in waste services
- Traffic laws, ordinances and rules involved in equipment operation
- Hazards and safety rules and precautions of operating heavy equipment
- Knowledge of the roads/streets within the assigned contract zone
- Proper lifting techniques
- Refuse collection equipment operations
- Rules, policies, and procedures relating to refuse collection and safety
- Possess a keen sense of mechanical and hydraulic functions in order to safely operate equipment
used in the performance of daily activities
- WHIMIS, First Aid and CPR
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers
Competencies & Skills
- Operation of heavy equipment used for solid waste collection
- Read and follow route maps, drawings and street signs
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Must be able to complete a Back-fit Test
- Have the ability to keep detailed, accurate records concerning materials received, processed and
disbursed as well as required equipment service records
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised while on assigned route
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to the incumbent or others
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with management, other employees, and the
- Ability to communicate with a hostile public when rules may cause them to become upset
- Possess the physical ability to climb to and from the operator's position and possess the manual
dexterity and coordination to use both hands and feet simultaneously in order to operate a machine
- Perform heavy manual labour
- Use a high pressure water hose to clean solid waste equipment
- Work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the outdoor elements
If this opportunity matches your interest and profile please apply online by using the "Apply"
button. If this is your first online application please refer to our resources on how to apply for jobs online.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process
will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that
reflects the diverse population it serves. The City encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the
HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.