LOCATION: Montreal (office) or remote (preferably Ottawa, Ontario or Vancouver)
Due to COVID-19, the Montreal office is currently working remotely from home.
Humane Society International/Canada is a leading force for animal protection, representing tens of thousands of members and constituents across the country. We are an effective voice for animals, with active programs in companion animals, wildlife and habitat protection, marine mammal preservation and farm animal welfare. HSI/Canada works to protect all animals through education, investigation, corporate outreach, litigation, legislation, advocacy, and field work.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Campaign Manager is responsible for the successful development, coordination and implementation of Humane Society International/Canada and Friends of Humane Society International (FHSI) programs and campaigns.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Effective development, coordination and implementation of program plans and strategies
- Development and implementation of campaign strategies and work plans in cooperation with the HSI/Canada and FHSI senior staff and Canadian and international colleagues.
- Supervision of interns, consultants and volunteers to achieve program success.
- Regular evaluation of campaign impact with senior staff, and collaborative adaptation of strategies as needed.
- Provision of regular program progress reports and feedback to senior staff and international colleagues.
- Participation in federal, provincial and municipal task forces and drafting of technical and other submissions for government and non-governmental bodies.
- Building of coalitions of stakeholders and community engagement to advance program goals.
- Regular presentations at conferences, events and other gatherings.
Effective representation of HSI/Canada and FHSI and their relevant programs
- Development of media strategies in conjunction with the HSI/Canada and FHSI teams and drafting of key messages.
- Serving as chief spokesperson for relevant HSI/Canada and FHSI campaigns, effectively representing the organizations and our work to Canadian and international media, government, donors, supporters and the general public.
- Drafting of news releases, opinion editorials, social media posts, campaign briefs and other program communications materials, and maintenance of relationships with journalists.
- Communication with the public including responses to inquiries.
- Assistance in liaising with major donors and drafting funding applications.
PERIPHERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent the organization to donors and supporters.
- Other duties as assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
2. At least five years’ experience in program leadership, management and execution.
3. Proven track record of budget management.
4. Proven track record of campaign advancement.
5. Strong media and public relations skills.
6. Advanced knowledge of animal protection and related issues.
7. Broad base of contacts within animal protection, media and government.
8. Proven track record of leading and working within effective teams.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Strong leadership and team management skills.
2. Strong organizational skills, including ability to prioritize responsibilities and meet deadlines.
3. Superior communications (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
4. Personal belief in and support for HSI/Canada’s mission and core values.
5. Superior analytical and strategic planning skills.
6. Ability to travel regularly, both domestically and internationally.
7. Ability to multitask and work under pressure.
8. Excellent budget management skills.
9. Bilingualism (English/French) is strongly preferred.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. We thank all candidates for their interest and will contact applicants selected for an interview.
Humane Society International/Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from minority and other underrepresented groups.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent