Jan K. Overweel Limited (JKO) specializes in importing, distribution and production of food products from all over the world. Our cheeses, deli meats and grocery items are all chosen for their quality ingredients and delicious flavours. These distinctive products come from areas throughout Europe, Australia, New Zealand, South America, the U.S. and Canada.
A private corporation that was established in 1947 as an importer of Dutch products. Today, we proudly produce products for our own heritage brands: EMMA®, Milano®, Casa Italia®, Piaceri D’Italia®, Duero®, Cortina®, Cedarvalle®, Oak Manor®, Sucre & Beurre by Milano™, and 1128 Crafted in Portugal™ in our local and international production facilities. We also represent many other brands within our extensive portfolio.
The Junior Accountant is responsible for assisting with the company's financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, the conduct of its relationships with lending institutions and the financial community, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports including monthly bank reconciliations.
- Posting of journal entries, reconciliation of BS accounts and review.
- Listing of intercompany transactions.
- HST / QST fillings and review.
- Reporting package – AR schedules and review.
- Coordinate with GT Filling of tax returns – installment payments. Annual Report Filling.
- Stat Canada Wholesale survey.
- Bank Monthly package.
- Oversee issuing of checks / payment of invoices.
- Prepare monthly / quarterly financial statements.
- Maintain investment schedules; oversee cash flow requirements, and communications with bankers.
- Certificate of Insurance requests.
- Agent commission payments for the US; 1099 statements; W2 personal amounts calculated and given to HR; FBAR forms – critical penalties involved for not filling; state tax filling.
- Maintain year-end working papers and spreadsheets, and assist with preparation for any audits or independent reviews with support from the CFO.
- Complete monthly reconciliation for some accounts (bank and brokerage accounts).
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation for all financial activities.
- Maintain up-to-date, complete and systematic filing system to support financial records.
- Provide forensic accounting services as necessary.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, institute and maintain other planning and control procedures (including the cost accounting system), and analyze and report variances.
- Responsible for tax planning and compliance with Federal, Provincial and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes including USA.
- Furnish internal reports, revise and update reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnish external reports as necessary.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or related field required.
- Must be working towards CGA / CPA designation.
- Minimum 2 to 3 years of experience in financial management / accounting preferred.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment
- Competitive Salary*
- Health and Dental
- Vision Care
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Personal Days
- Vacation Time Off
- Employee Discount on Company Products*
Jan K. Overweel Ltd. is committed in providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please let us know if you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process.
Reference ID: JR Accountant
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
To ensure the safe and well being of all our employees; hand sanitizer, mask and gloves are provided.
- Financial Accounting: 2 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)