Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
With a strong history of innovation for over 100+ years, we are Canada’s largest diversified natural resource company looking to embark on our next chapter.
Being part of the RACE21™ team, you’ll be leading the charge of a company-wide renewal of technology and infrastructure – a high-tech transformation of mining into the next generation.
With the financial backing and commitment from our leadership, we envision a fully-integrated agile digital platform that will:
- Renew, Automate, and Connect material, processes, equipment flows, and data systems to expand and enable a broad application of advanced analytics, robotics, and artificial intelligence
- Empower our employees by investing in digital skills and capabilities to enhance creativity and innovation – increasing sustainability, safety, and performance in real time, unlocking resource base knowledge and improving planning for optimal resource extraction
We are world-class leaders in sustainability and safety – and we are building a better world for the next generation with lasting competitive advantages, from 2021 and beyond.
Reporting to the Manager of Technology, the Data Scientist, RACE21 brings deep understanding of big data to the teams, and helps in building and enabling big data analytics solutions. They apply complex and most current modelling techniques to existing data sets in order to find optimization and or improvement opportunities relevant to the context of the product being developed.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Designs, develops, and implements end-to-end cloud based machine learning production pipelines (data exploration, sampling, training data generation, feature engineering, model building, and performance evaluation)
- Ensures that data pipelines are scalable, repeatable, and secure, and can serve multiple users within the company
- Enables big data and batch/real-time analytical solutions that leverage emerging technologies
- Collects, parses, manages, analyzes and visualizes large sets of data using multiple platforms
- Translates complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture, design, and high performing software
- Codes, tests, and documents new or modified data systems to create robust and scalable applications for data analytics
- Implements security and recovery tools and techniques as required
- Works with fellow Data Scientists and Engineers to ensure that all data solutions are consistent
- Ensures all automated processes preserve data by managing the alignment of data availability and integration processes
- Develops standards and processes for integration projects and initiatives
- Master’s or PhD Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related quantitative discipline
- Minimum five years of experience in data science
- Understanding of high performance algorithms and R statistical software
- Experience in industry data science (e.g., machine learning, predictive maintenance) preferred
- Capability to architect highly scalable distributed systems, using different tools
- Demonstrated experience with object oriented design, coding and testing patterns as well as experience in engineering software platforms and largescale data
- Expert knowledge of data modeling and understanding of different data structures
- Strong understanding of Agile methodologies
- Experience as a Data Scientist on an agile team or other rapid development methods preferred
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Experience in developing presentations and communications to be shared with internal and external stakeholders
- Brings a high energy and passionate outlook to the job and can influence those around them
- Able to build a sense of trust and rapport that creates a comfortable & effective workplace
- Passion for innovation and “can do” attitude
- A valid driver's licence might be required
- Ability to travel to our sites in British Columbia 20-40% of the time
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
Job Type: Full-time