Position Type: Part time, 8 week contract, 35 hours/week
Employment period: Start date ASAP– August 26, 2022
Salary: $15.00 hour
Job Location: Barrhaven
SCOPE OF POSITION:
NROCRC is seeking applications for one Barrhaven Youth Outreach Workers. The successful candidate will provide a range of street outreach services to individuals and groups in Barrhaven, serving to promote youth engagement in communities and increasing youth access to opportunities. The Barrhaven Youth Outreach Worker will liaise with service providers to understand available services and identify gaps in services for the target client group. This position carries responsibilities for prevention, early intervention, and community outreach services. This is a front-line youth worker position which involves working in designated communities primarily during evening hours. The successful candidate must commit to work within NROCRC’s model of Community Development.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To initiate, develop, and implement community outreach activities
- To reach out and engage youth (13-18 years of age) in activities that promote assets, competencies, and resiliency
- To listen to the opinions of youth, to understand their concerns and to learn what is important to them
- To facilitate connections between youth and their neighbourhoods
- To provide youth with development opportunities in leadership training, volunteering and employment
- To discuss COVID-19 related safety in addition to conversing with youth how they are creatively adapting socially, emotionally, physically, and intellectually.
- To work collaboratively with youth, parents, and service providers to develop effective service delivery plans.
- To participate in the facilitation of partnerships with community agencies, businesses, government, schools, and informal community groups to help foster programs.
- To perform administrative record keeping and reporting as required
- College/University degree student or graduate in Social Service (preferred) or relevant lived experience.
- Standard First Aid/CPR Certification is necessary
- 1-2 years experience in a youth-related field, preferably in an outreach and/or community development role
- Level 2 Sector police check mandatory
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the needs of youth in Barrhaven
- Understanding of needs of marginalized and/or racialized communities
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively and negotiate effectively within a multi-disciplinary team of service providers.
- Demonstrated youth mentoring skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills.
- Knowledge of computers/Internet/database management
- English is essential, other languages are considered an asset
- Please note: the following are required for this position:
- Afternoon and evening hours of work, flexibility with hours
- Willingness to work in Barrhaven
- Must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19
We would like to thank all candidates for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly. Due to the high volumes of interested applicants, we will not be able to receive phone calls asking for more information on available positions.
NROCRC is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse work team representative of the community we serve.
NROCRC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 8 weeks
Salary: $15.00 per hour
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
NROCRC continues to take Covid precautions.
Application deadline: 2022-07-08