SmartCentres Real Estate Investment Trust is the culmination of a long-standing and highly successful alliance between Calloway REIT and SmartCentres. The acquisition of SmartCentres® by Calloway REIT in 2015 created a powerful Canadian real estate provider that is fully integrated with expertise in acquisition, asset management, planning, development, leasing, operations, property management and construction, all under one roof.
With proven expertise in retail development and operation, SmartCentres’ capabilities have grown to include a variety of urban, mixed-use, residential and industrial developments, including a number of master planned communities such as SmartCentres Place at the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre in Ontario.
With the many capabilities of both companies coming together as one unified entity, SmartCentres® REIT is well positioned to take advantage of numerous opportunities as it helps shape the landscape of Canada’s real estate market.
As a SmartCentres Associate, you will be working alongside some of the top real estate professionals in the industry in an exciting entrepreneurial environment that allows you to take ownership of your work and see projects through from concept to delivery. Our Associates exhibit the personal drive to challenge how we can make our success today even better tomorrow!
If you are ready to maximize your full potential, we are ready to ensure it happens.
- Career training and development opportunities
- Competitive compensation and incentive plans
- Comprehensive benefits package
- An engaging entrepreneurial people-focused culture
Title: Development Manager
Reports to: SVP Land Development
Department: Business Unit
Manage land development, primarily for the 100 acre Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, 15 million square foot mixed-use development. In coordination with the VP Land Development - VMC, identify suitable sites for retail development within specified markets, in accordance with Company’s current and future objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Land Economics, or related field, and or other Professional Designation;
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a land development capacity and other components of real estate development;
- Demonstrable experience in seeking land use entitlements and successfully obtaining a significant use of land development , preferably for a company whose primary business is commercial land development, or a related field;
- Experience required managing a professional consultant team, stakeholders, and government department relationships.
The specific duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsive to commercial development opportunities in accordance with the Company’s project plan approval procedures;
- Responsible in co-operation with Portfolio Leader for site acquisition, either through directing an acquisitions specialist, an outside broker, or through direct contact with prospective vendors;
- Responsible for executing approved project plans through the coordination of, and teaming with, outside consultants, Land Development Associates, financial analysts, administrative assistants, the Sr. Director Engineering & Development, and the Leasing manager, as well as through consultation with the Portfolio Leader. Project Plans include: official plan amendments, site plan approvals for various commercial sites, as well as manage the approval process for zoning and rezoning permits
- Responsible for project update meetings, and project plan revisions or updates in satisfaction of J.V. partner’s requirements, on an as needed basis;
- Maintain sr. relationships in order to pursue executive required approvals;
- Opportunity for some independence in the decision making process;
The Development Manager must be client focused, advocate and communicate a positive image of the company, both internally and externally. The Development Manager shall take accountability for decisions made and conduct oneself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the company’s interests. The Development Manager shall demonstrate
entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities; demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. The Development Manager is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted about an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
Job Type: Full-time
- land development: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)