Cellar Master Job Description:
- Tank/barrel and equipment cleaning and sanitizing, racking, transfers, additions, barreling up and down, blending, fining, filtering, bottling and record keeping.
- Competence to run a crush pad; forklifting, receiving grapes (weighing in), pressing, crushing and destemming, cleaning, sanitizing and maintaining equipment (cleaning, oiling, greasing, etc).
- Leading tastings and/or tours and pouring at wine events around Ontario.
- Moving and lifting wine cases and stacking them.
- Testing the following (using protocol and procedures outlined by the winemaker); pH, TA, brix, turbidity, alcohol, Free & Total Sulphur, residual sugar, malo-lactic fermentation through chromatography, protein stability, filterability and cold stability.
- Interpreting tested data from wines.
- Setting up tasting trials: acid, sugar, blending, among others.
- Tasting with confidence and ability to describe a wine and recognize wine faults.
- Creating tasting note and spec sheets for each wine produced
Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Pruning, tying, canopy management (shoot thinning, suckering, green harvest, etc), IPM, scouting, spray programs, fertilizing, weeding and harvesting, geo-textile blanket applications and removal, implementing bird netting and closing/opening each row, setting up bird control mechanisms, replanting, monitoring and sampling grapes.
- Tractor driving; un-burying, cultivating, fertilizer spreading, spraying, mowing, hedging, weeding, and burying vines for the winter. Plus pulling a trailer, using a front end loader or bucket and snow removal with a snow blower.
- Large rock removal.
- Trellis maintenance.
- Weed whacking and hand weeding.
Other abilities include:
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage a team and work well as part of the team or individually.
- Cooperative attitude and be flexible to changes and work hours.
- Willingness to expand knowledge base and practices and participate in vine and wine trials.
- Being prepared to work in all types of weather and temperatures in Southern Ontario.
- Able to do physical labour and lift 25 KG.
- Driving to pick up items from suppliers.
- Problem solving on the spot.
- Removal of garbage to appropriate locations.
- Hand shovelling, snow removal and salting.
What's In It For You!
- Competitive wagers
- Career development
- Growing Vineyard
- Meal allowance
- Free Golf & Ski
- Discounts on various Resorts and Hotels in Canada
- Use of the Leisure facilities at Hockley Valley Resort
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent