At 604 Now, we go above the obvious, sharing intriguing stories and exciting opportunities for experiencing life in the Vancouver metropolitan. By creating conversations and empowering exploration, our goal is to inform readers what’s new, what’s now, and what’s next in their city.
We're seeking an energetic writer with a sense of humour to join our content team and take the lead on events and timely, fast-moving news stories across food, nightlife, travel and local culture.
The ideal candidate has comprehensive knowledge of the Metro Vancouver region, with a strong understanding for what makes content engaging, relatable for locals as well as how it should be packaged for both search and social distribution.
Storytelling and reporting is equally important. You shouldn't be afraid to pick up the phone to chase down details and create angles that are different from what’s already out there.
- Efficiently turn around clean copy infused with reliable reporting, humour, and fresh storytelling
- Find interesting angles and write killer headlines to attract large audiences, specifically on social media and search
- Photo research, fact-checking, contributing to lists
- Source images and video that perfectly reflect each story's content.
- Use third party tools to gather content ideas in addition to your own creative paths to finding, reporting, and sharing important stories. This includes building and maintaining rapport with sources.
- Devote consistent attention and reporting across multiple sections on our site
- Use data insights and analytics to better understand our audience, and apply those insights to future stories
- Communicate with other departments to develop stories, strategize coverage, and spearhead new ways to attract loyal readers
- 1+ years editorial experience in digital media
- Strong writing
- Strong understanding and experience with Wordpress
- Well organized
- Strong understanding of how content is consumed and distributed online and via social and search platforms, with a particular emphasis on SEO.
- Good communicator both to members of your own team, to representatives of other departments, and to freelance writers.
- Knowledge of digital media landscape, and where oour vertical fits into that competitive field.
Please send your resume, a cover letter that explains why you are the best candidate for this position, and 2-3 pieces of your writing (preferably published).
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
- Journalism / Digital Media: 1 year (Preferred)