BCIT’s Learning and Teaching Centre is seeking a regular, full-time (1.0 FTE) Learning Technology Specialist. This position provides advisory services, support, training and systems administration for BCIT students, faculty, administrative staff, management, and external clients and partners in the development, implementation and use of educational technologies, systems, and infrastructure for BCIT’s enterprise educational technologies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and delivers training and ongoing support for the configuration, use and application of course management and delivery software, and other educational technology applications such as safe exam browsers, desktop conferencing systems, interactive multimedia, VR, e-Portfolios, development applications and object repositories.
- Provides training and ongoing support to BCIT and external personnel and students in the use of course management and delivery software, and other educational technology applications.
- Provides technical support during the planning, development, pilot and ongoing delivery stages of courses using e-learning technologies.
- Contributes to the establishment of criteria and processes required to ensure that documentation, including file naming conventions, directory storage structures, ID’s, style guides, course navigation, use of teaching and learning tools, and password access, is complete and consistent.
- Provides up-to-date information and recommendations to facilitate decision making related to educational technology and related strategic planning.
- Counsels faculty regarding appropriate delivery methods, learning tools and computer applications to achieve desired outcomes.
- Trouble-shoots and problem solves for management, faculty, staff and students during the planning, designing, developing, prototyping, piloting and ongoing delivery of courses.
- Assesses needs, researches, recommends, selects, configures and integrates educational technology at the enterprise level for use across BCIT. Works with programs and other BCIT support departments to ensure seamless functionality of systems and applications involving access to, and use of, BCIT’s educational technologies.
- Provides course administration support and assistance to students and faculty in flexible/on-line learning courses and programs.
- Researches, develops, documents and communicates processes and procedures in the areas of course management and delivery systems, and educational technology.
- Serves as project coordinator for educational technology systems projects.
- Participates in Institute committees and projects related to the administration and support systems for educational technology and e-learning.
- Recommends technical standards for the implementation and integration of web-based technologies and strategies.
- Works with Information Technology Services to ensure e-learning systems and applications are compatible and integrated with institutional databases and portals.
- Coordinates and maintains data bases of BCIT e-learning course for external sites.
- Participates in marketing initiatives such as developing and maintaining web sites, conducting departmental tours, etc.
- Identifies administrative issues and makes recommendations on infrastructure supporting on-line learning and educational technology.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
- Diploma of Technology or equivalent.
- Training in instructional design such as the Instructional Skills Workshop level or equivalent.
- Two years general experience plus two years recent related experience in educational technology.
- Experience coordinating projects with a proven ability to establish priorities, identify tasks, coordinate the activities of project participants and report on the status of a project.
- Knowledge of the curriculum design process.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated knowledge in online course management and delivery systems, web browsers, and other education applications.
- Specialized expertise or interest in one or more areas of innovation in Educational Technology such as VR/AR, AI, Adaptive Assessment or Learning, etc.
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated commitment to, maintaining currency in a wide variety of office productivity (e.g. Word, Excel, Access, etc.) and educational software applications with the ability to make informed and competent decisions related to software applications.
- Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to model high quality, customer service orientation in all client interactions (internal and external). Helpdesk/client support and triage/technical problem solving ability.
- Must be a team player, with the demonstrated ability to work in the dual role of team participant and team leader.
- Effective training and presentation skills with ability to train adult learners.
- Demonstrated ability to research, summarize, and present clear and concise data to answer specific questions.
- Flexible hours may be required.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC’s Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
Reference ID: https://careers.bcit.ca/postings/3187
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Permanent
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- RRSP Match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Care
- Wellness Program
- Work From Home
- Temporarily due to COVID-19