If you are an experienced culinary professional with a passion for teaching children, then Rooks to Cooks has a great opportunity for you. We are looking for fun and enthusiastic Sous Chefs to join our wonderful team of summer camp culinary instructors. With 12 locations of summer cooking day camps conveniently spread across the GTA, we are sure to have a location near you.
Why work at Rooks to Cooks?
- Rewarding and meaningful work
- Work Regular hours during the day
- Weekends and Holidays Off
- Welcoming and family-oriented culture
- It's fun teaching kids to cook
- Celebrate successes in a supportive environment
- Team of passionate and enthusiastic individuals
- Rapidly growing company with additional opportunities
Applicants must have hands-on experience working in the culinary industry, as well as experience working with children in a professional environment. As sous chef, you will be an integral part of a four-person team, working with the lead chef to help manage and educate the campers, while ensuring the day-to-day operations run smoothly. You will support the lead chef in teaching multiple cooking demonstrations and lessons per day, as well as support the camp counsellor as they run games, activities and team building exercises. Strong interpersonal skills and comfortable conversing with others is integral to this role. You will also be responsible for building and maintaining a physically and emotionally safe environment, ensuring camp is a fun and positive experience for all your campers.
Summer camp sessions typically run for 9 consecutive weeks from the beginning of July 2019 to the end of August 2019.
Hours of work are: Monday to Thursday 8:45am - 5:00pm; and Friday 9:00am - 8:00pm for a total of 44 hours a week. No class will be held on the weekends or holidays, allowing you weekend and holidays to spend how you wish all summer long.
If you are ready to use your knowledge and skill to help children build confidence, independence and self-sufficiency, then please apply. We look forward to meeting you and are excited by the prospect of gaining another passionate and enthusiastic R2C family member.
Sous Chef Responsibilities:
- Support lead chef in building and maintaining a physically and emotionally safe environment for campers and staff
- Help define and reinforce camp rules and expectations
- Culinary instructor - plan and teach 25 - 50% of all pastry and cooking demonstrations in a fun and interactive manner; deliver large and small group instruction
- Teach campers extensive culinary theory and various culinary skills with enthusiasm and passion
- Supervise and support campers to ensure their safety and accurate execution of the recipes on hand
- Execute daily lessons in a timely and organized manner as prescribed in the head office summer curriculum
- Follow and execute daily prep requirements as defined by the lead chef
- Respond and react professionally to all incidents (i.e. fill out incident report forms)
- Responsible for campers with allergies and dietary restrictions
- Build authentic relationships with campers and their families
- Be a Rooks to Cooks brand ambassador
- Support camp counsellor in the execution of break time games and activities
- Support assistant in the execution of cleanliness standards as prescribed by head office
- Ensure campers are well fed and kept hydrated throughout day
- Assist lead chef in the auditing of head office food order to keep food costs low and avoid food wastage
- Help manage campers and assist the team during Friday night Pop up restaurant
Necessary Experience & Skills:
- 2+ years of experience working in the culinary industry; Pastry experience is an asset
- 2+ years of experience working with children
- Experience teaching is an asset
- Culinary certificate or its equivalent is an asset
- Passionate and enthusiastic about teaching children how to cook
- Organized, detail-oriented and punctual
- Proactive, reliable and safety conscious
- Excellent communicability and interpersonal skills
- Outgoing and comfortable conversing with others
- Great sense of humour
Required qualifications (Will need to be completed by April 1st, 2019):
- A Clear Vulnerable Sectors Screening (police check)
- Red Cross Standard First Aid & CPR certification
- Food Handlers Certificate
- 8 hours of Rooks to Cooks training
How to Apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to the attention of Chef Shai Mandel. Included in your cover letter, we ask that candidates answer the questions below to help us get to know you better.
PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
1. What attracts you to Rooks to Cooks and the programs we run?
2. What excites you the most about teaching children to cook?
3. The summer camp runs 9 - 10 weeks summer of 2019. Dates of work are June 24th - August 30th. Please help us understand how and why you can make a commitment for the summer of 2019 now?
4. Our camps are opening multi locations in the following areas: Annex, Beaches, Brampton, East York, Etobicoke, Forest Hill, High Park, Lawrence Manor, Markham, Mississauga, North York, Scarborough, Thornhill. Please indicate your First, Second and Third choice of location that is best for you.
5. What would be your dream position in the culinary field?
6. Have you completed Standard First Aid / CPR Training? If yes, please state the date of completion.
7. Have you completed a Police Reference Check (Vulnerable Sector)? If yes, please state the date of completion.
8. Have you obtained a Food Handlers Certificate? If yes, please state the date of completion.
9. Are you legally allowed to work in Canada?
10. Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence for which you have not been pardoned?
11. Please list any certifications you have completed which are relevant to this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those candidates who meet the position requirements will be contacted.
About Rooks to Cooks:
Rooks to Cooks is a children’s culinary school based out of Toronto, Ontario. It was founded by Chef Shai Mandel in 2016 as an extension of her services offered since 2015. The programs offered by Rooks to Cooks began with in-home private lessons and have now expanded to include cooking day camps, in-home birthday parties, after school programs, and school workshops. Rooks to Cooks was developed to be first and foremost student-centred and flexible. We recognize that learning new skills, especially cooking, can be intimidating; that's why we build our programs to be fun, inviting, as well as intensive. Our programs and services always emphasize themes of healthy eating, and teach our students how to live a fulfilling healthy life. Our mission is to empower our students to become more independent and self-sufficient while helping them to find their voice and build self-confidence through learning how to cook/bake.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $14.00 to $18.00 /hour
- Teaching: 2 years (Preferred)
- Chef: 2 years (Preferred)
- First Aid Certification (Preferred)
- Food Handler Certification (Preferred)