Canada's Challenger Bank™
If you're looking for a workplace where employees are passionate about their work environment, then read on. What sets Equitable Bank apart from other companies is its culture. We celebrate and embrace the fabric of diversity, the employee engagement process and collectively take pride in our business successes. Our commitment to our customers, our partners and our employees creates a stimulating and exciting atmosphere that generates innovative products and outstanding service quality.
Equitable Bank is Canada's ninth largest independent Schedule I bank, serving Canadians coast to coast. It offers a diverse suite of residential lending, commercial lending and savings solutions, including high-interest savings products and GICs. Through its proven branchless approach and customer service focus, Equitable Bank has grown to approximately $31 billion in assets under management. In 2016, Equitable Bank launched a digital banking operation, EQ Bank, and introduced the EQ Bank Savings Plus Account. Equitable Bank currently employs over 750 employees across the country.
Within Equitable Bank's Core Lending business, Single Family Lending Services funds mortgages for owner-occupied and investment properties across Canada, while Commercial Lending Services provides mortgages on a variety of commercial properties on a national basis.Equitable's Securitization Financing business originates and securitizes insured residential mortgages under the Canada Mortgage and Housing ("CMHC") administered National Housing Act.Equitable Bank also offers a range of deposit products including short-term, long-term and Cashable GICs, available in non-registered or Tax Free Savings Account ("TFSA") across Canada. And it offers a High Interest Savings Account, available from authorized investment advisors through the FundServ network.
Equitable Bank is a growing Canadian financial services business and a wholly owned subsidiary of Equitable Group. It was founded in 1970 as The Equitable Trust Company.
Director, PMO – Digital Bank Portfolio
Project Management Office
Senior Director, PMO
Purpose of Job
The primary objective of this position is to provide Project Management Office (PMO) leadership and change management expertise to Equitable Bank’s rapidly expanding direct to consumer digital bank – EQ Bank.
As the Director, PMO, reporting to the Senior Director, PMO, you are a highly experienced delivery leader who is focused on business outcomes. You will be the primary point of accountability for EQ Bank and its leadership team for the management and oversight of their portfolio of projects. You will participate in the annual planning process to ensure programs and projects are set up for success, which includes active management throughout the year as priorities shift. This role combines business acumen, risk management and the ability to forge strong relationships with many internal stakeholders.
You will be responsible for leading and inspiring a team of project managers and business process specialists and ensuring that they run their programs and projects in accordance with the Equitable Bank Project Delivery Model. You also play a role in maintaining and evolving project management standards, methodologies and best practices which includes an emerging focus on agile delivery.
This position provides “big picture” insight and strategic guidance that improves the success of the portfolio of projects. Making sure your delivery team is plugged into the business strategy and that you have an advanced understanding of dependencies and cross project impacts within your portfolio. It also requires that you have a strong view of capacity against in flight and new work and making recommendations on how to handle resource constraints across the portfolio should they arise.
Manage EQ Bank Portfolio:
- Build and lead a team of professional Project Managers/Coordinators to effectively deliver multiple concurrent projects of varying complexity and methodology that are aligned with the strategic goals of the company
- Ensure responsibilities are completed in accordance with policies, procedures and priorities and that established targets are being met
- Provide centralized assistance for stakeholders such as planning; scheduling; estimating; costing; project accounting; risk assessment; requirements/needs analysis and related processes
- Ensure best practices and project management tools & processes are applied to address unique situations
- Review internal project management processes and methodologies to look for opportunities for continuous improvements to maintain relevance with best practices
- Support the maintenance and use of project retrospectives
- Develop/adopt best practices for resource analysis and deployment
- Build business processes to establish and track resource utilization trends in alignment with portfolio objectives
- Provide leadership in the development of required business cases/Product Approval Requests within managed portfolio
- Ensure completion of project "health-checks" (risk assessments). Ensure continuous engagement throughout project lifecycle to ensure risk areas are managed & improved accordingly
- Monitor and stay current with Industry best practices and changes and that may impact PMO delivery processes and/or the Bank
- Manage and govern multi million investment plan green dollar budgets
Manage Direct Reports:
- Build and lead an experienced team who excel at planning and executing initiatives, Allocate and manage resources to complex initiatives that support corporate strategic objectives
- Monitor and stay abreast of technological, legal and operational changes that affect the bank
- Make recommendations for, develop, and implement improvements to the PMO to meet the changing requirements of the organization
- Develop and maintain project management methodology and revise the methodologies, processes, tools and templates used in project management as necessary to align to the organization’s culture, business strategy and policies
- Define and develop governance standards, and success metrics for projects
- Develop and maintain the business process improvement methodology including the processes, tools, templates
- Prepare executive-level reporting on the status of projects and escalate issues when necessary
- Build a pipeline of talent to manage demand, supplementing with contractors when demand requires
- Instill in the team a true performance & delivery orientation, and collective skill sets needed to deliver stretch goals
- Direct, manage and supervise staff to ensure delivery objectives are met or exceeded
- Provide timely and effective performance feedback and coaching to staff, recognizing and rewarding good performance and dealing quickly and effectively with poor performance
- Ensure departmental and individual staff training needs are met
Lead and manage projects, project portfolios, and major programs:
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Plan, direct and lead the successful management of change using the expertise and resources across all functions in the organization
- Work directly with sponsors and stakeholders in the project process as required; lead development of work plans and key milestones; monitor and report progress and generally ensure successful completion of assigned projects and other initiatives
- Effectively apply the Bank’s policies and procedures as they relate to assigned work
- Guide PM decisions during project phases
- Implement strategies for Scope Management to contractual and business partner objectives
- 10+ years’ experience managing client facing projects or working in projectized environments in Technology and/or Business functions, preferably in the financial services industry
- Working knowledge of IT solutions to enable credible conversations with IT partners
- Strong facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Proven delivery track record in both business and IT, including and especially in digital given our challenger bank orientation
- Experience managing staff groups of 10 plus FTE
- In-depth knowledge of project management practice including Agile and current methodologies
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to set strong examples for team members
- Established organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple competing priorities
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously among multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and lead/influence others to achieve goals
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Strong time management, analytical and problem solving skills
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respond in a clear, concise and professional manner
- Good working knowledge of MS Office, Confluence, JIRA, and other portfolio planning tools
- Experienced in applying process integration practices to complex environments
- Expert level knowledge of business process improvement practices including, Lean Methodology
- In depth knowledge of software development life cycle
Equitable Bank is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All candidates considered for hire must successfully pass a criminal background check and credit check to qualify for hire. While we appreciate your interest in applying, an Equitable recruiter will only contact leading candidates whose skills and qualifications closely match the requirements of the position.