Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday; days
Time of Day:
Shift Length:Open Date::
Temporary Assignment - approximately 52 weeks
The Forensic Psychiatry Program is a Provincial Interest Program with a mandate to protect public safety and rehabilitate patients. The Forensic Psychiatry Program serves individuals ordered by the Courts for assessment, treatment and detention. Along with assessments for Criminal Responsibility and Fitness to Stand Trial, the program also provides presentence court ordered evaluations pursuant to Section 22 of the Mental Health Act of Ontario. Persons served by the Forensic Psychiatry Program are court-ordered to our facility with the level of detention determined by the Ontario Review Board (ORB). The Forensic Psychiatry Program is focused on risk identification and mitigation as well as rehabilitation.
This position provides administrative support within the Forensic Psychiatry Program supporting Managers, outpatient and clinic teams, Psychiatrists and the Director. This position will interact directly with patients and families. Strong communication and organization skills are required as the incumbent will be required to communicate directly with various clinicians and Managers/Director within the program and community. The incumbent is responsible for preparing and transcribing a wide variety of reports including but not limited to court reports.
The incumbent is also responsible for preparing and transcribing hospital documentation. The incumbent ensures that all administrative functions at this senior level are handled with efficiency, accuracy, professionalism and confidentiality. All related duties and responsibilities adhere to the policies and procedures of the hospital and program.
RESPONSIBILITIES:Some responsibilities include:
- Completion of a two year post-secondary diploma in medical office administration or legal administration
- Medical terminology certificate required, legal terminology certificate preferred
- 5 years’ experience providing administrative support within a busy, multidisciplinary mental health care facility, with demonstrated knowledge of the Mental Health Act. Criminal Code of Canada, and related legal forms
- Intermediate skill level is required for MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat
- Accurate keyboarding speed of 50 wpm
- Proficiency in data entry and the use of specialized computer applications: Epic / Dovetale
- Advanced spelling and grammar, to ensure accuracy in all typed reports
- Maintain excellent interpersonal relationships while handling multiple tasks and frequent interruptions
- Ability to communicate in a sensitive and non-judgmental manner with psychiatric patients, clinicians and community collaterals
- Excellent organization skills, with ability to prioritize tasks and work with minimal supervision
- Documented Crisis Management training- CPI preferred
- Prepares Forensic specific court and hospital reports and documentation, focusing on factual, grammatical and formatting accuracy. Assists with ORB reports and process.
- Provide administrative support to Forensic Manager(s)/ Supervisor and assigned physicians. Prepare and transcribe documents from verbal instruction, handwritten notes and / or transcription. Assist with other duties as assigned
- Manage all front desk / reception duties for the Forensic Psychiatry Program, specifically but not limited to handle all incoming phone calls and triage appropriately, record management, complete meeting minutes for assigned committees, completes RFS as directed by Manager, manage office supplies, facilitate referrals to other services, direct and assist individuals as needed (both patients and community collaterals).
- Ensures all outpatients are accurately registered and treated with respect and made to feel comfortable while waiting for scheduled appointments
- Responsible for inputting all follow up appointments and maintaining daily schedules
- Assists with admitting patients to the appropriate unit under the direction of the MRP and working in collaboration with unit staff, ensuring paperwork is completed in timely manner
- Maintain safe, comfortable waiting area by recognizing potential safety concerns
- Photocopies and collates reports, correspondence and articles, and faxes information to courts, Crown Attorneys and/or other agencies as directed
- Provides administrative support to multi-disciplinary team, providing project management support, typing correspondence/ documents, scheduling appointments, faxing, photocopying, distributing mail, email and filing
- Maintains filing system for outpatient charts and correspondence
- Utilizes appropriate software programs to design and prepare specialized forms and reports i.e. Census Update
- Provides coverage throughout the department as required and performs other duties as assigned by the Manager/ Supervisor
- All other duties as assigned
HOURS OF WORK Monday to Friday; days
(plus 14% in lieu of benefits)