RMHBS Job Posting:
DSS Casual Relief 05-20
Direct Support Staff-Casual/Relief
Reflections Mental Health and Behaviour Services (RMHBS) provides direct residential and community staffing and supports to a wide range of individuals with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges. We are currently seeking casual/relief direct support staff in both our residential and community support programs.
Casual/Relief Staff are offered available shifts of varying lengths in order to provide intermittent casual/relief coverage as needed for RMHBS full and part time residential and/or community support staff and/or intermittent service needs; which may involve very short notice of availability. The number of hours available for casual/relief support staff varies and there is no guarantee of provision of hours on any regular schedule; or any regular frequency or amount for casual/relief support staff.
Required Competencies for Applicants:
ü A diploma or degree in psychology, developmental services, mental health/social work, behaviour intervention or other related discipline.
ü Minimum of 3 years experience supporting individuals with developmental disabilities and mental health needs in both residential and community settings.
ü Current criminal record check and vulnerable persons screening
ü Proof of current ministry approved behavioral intervention training (Safe Management preferred)
ü Proof of current First Aid and CPR
ü “RMHBS Fit to Work” form completed by physician
ü Two million liability auto insurance
ü Three reference checks
ü Valid Class G driver’s license and safe reliable vehicle
ü Preference will be given to those applicants who have diverse experience with complex profiles, mental health, development disabilities, applied behaviour analysis (ABA) and experience in ministry funded settings.
The successful Casual/Relief candidate will also possess the following values and skills:
· High work standards: work ethic, task completion, consistency, follow up, accuracy/attention to detail, excellent written and oral communication skills
· time management, attend work regularly as scheduled or requested
· Personal management skills: accountability, self-regulation, stress tolerance, adaptability/flexibility, creativity, initiative, working in teams or independently, problem solving, conflict resolution
· Personal development skills: diverse ability, openness, willingness to learn, receives feedback and seeks collaborative opportunities, trauma informed
· Professional skills: interpersonal and communication skills, respectful, culturally sensitive, ability to establish effective relationships/trust with others within professional boundaries
Description of Duties- Direct Support Staff
· Provide direct staff support and supervision when required to a wide variety of individuals with developmental disability, mental health challenges; and with complex and/or challenging behaviour or support needs
· Provide direct staff support and supervision for a wide variety of adaptive daily living skills using variety of prompt levels and strategies; including housekeeping and intimate care support for individuals in service where required and outlined
· Provide direct staff support and supervision within residential and/or community settings; including other professional settings where applicable such as hospitals, schools or medical settings when required
· Support and apply invasive behaviour intervention when recommended and approved by a qualified regulated professional; including but not limited to increased staff ratios, following As Needed (PRN) Medication Administration protocol(s), Behaviour Support Plan(s) (BSP), Crisis or Safety Plan(s) and/or legal/criminal sanctions and/or recommendations
· Complete daily, weekly and monthly documentation such as IIS Daily Notes, RMHBS Behaviour Event forms, Medication Administration Records (MAR) and other documentation daily and/or as required and directed to do so.
· Be available to work within a 24-hour support provision model where applicable to ensure the continuity of service delivery to vulnerable individuals in service. This can involve working varying shifts and times of work; may include working alone with an individual in service; and may involve exercising flexibility in duties and tasks to meet the needs of individuals in service.
· Use non-violent crisis intervention techniques where required to ensure the imminent safety of self or others; and as trained and qualified within a ministry approved behaviour intervention technique (e.g. Safe Management); and within appropriate scope of practice.
· Safely engage in activities that require bending and lifting up to 50 lbs.
· Support individuals in service with functional and developmentally appropriate social and leisure activities where appropriate to do so.
· Transport individuals in service within your own vehicle to a variety of appointments and activities within community where appropriate and agreed upon as part of service delivery
Working Conditions- Direct Support Staff
· Providing direct support to individuals with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges who may engage in challenging behaviour such as aggression to self or others; or property damage.
· Working in a wide variety of settings within residential and community sites, including an IIS’ home environment; and in the presence of a wide variety of people connected to the IIS, such as family members and other professionals.
· Working a wide variety of hours and shifts of varying lengths depending on IIS’ service needs
· Bending and lifting up to 50 lbs.
· Providing easily understood written documentation of an IIS’ activities, behaviours and other details of service provision as required.
· Casual/Relief Direct Support Staff report to the RMHBS Coordinator.
If interested, please send resume and cover letter, quoting Job Posting DSS Casual Relief 05-20
RMHBS promotes an inclusive and anti-oppressive work environment that is free of violence and abuse. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in RMHBS!
Reference ID: 05-20
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $18.00 to $24.00 /hour
Reference ID: DSS Casual Relief 05-20
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $18.00 to $24.00 /hour
- Support Care: 1 year (Preferred)
- Peterborough, ON (Preferred)