Love serving food and want to make a difference in the lives of others?
Lookout Housing and Health Society is a non-profit charitable organization offering a range of services and housing 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to adults who have few, if any options, and who demonstrate an inability to meet their own needs. We assist them to regain and maintain stability and achieve a greater quality of life.
We are currently looking to add to our team and invite applications for Cooks on a Casual (on-call) basis in Vancouver
Cooks provide food and meals to vulnerable adults who may be struggling with challenges such as mental illness or addiction, and have few if any housing options. The Cook prepares, cooks and serves meals, prepare and serve snack food. Will also ensure availability of food for after hours, and maintain a high standard of cleanliness in the kitchen, dining and storage areas, and maintain equipment. Will also work with and oversee volunteers in kitchen area, follow menu, list supplies required. In general, organize and complete work that is required to enable serving of meals each day in a safe, clean and friendly environment. You’ll be a good fit at Lookout if you:
· have kitchen & meal planning/serving experience
· are client-centered and non-judgemental
· are compassionate and respectful
· have strong communication and teamwork skills
· demonstrate flexibility and ability to problem solve
· Minimum Grade 12 and 2 years of recent related experience (or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience)
· OFA 1 First Aid Certificate
· Food Safe Level 1
· Demonstrated proof of at least 2 years’ sobriety
· Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training an asset
Since we’re open 24/7 we need dedicated people with flexible schedules. Most of our employees start on a casual basis, gaining skills and experience while working towards regular full-time and part-time positions.
Starting wage $21.25 per hour (as per BCGEU Collective Agreement) plus 9.6% in lieu of vacation and statutory holidays.
Lookout serves a diverse community so we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and cultures to apply. Successful applicants will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to commencement of employment.
For more information*www.lookoutsociety.ca*
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume
ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WELCOME TO APPLY. ONLY THOSE SHORT-LISTED WILL BE CONTACTED.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Casual
Salary: $21.25 per hour
- Secondary School (preferred)
- Culinary: 1 year (preferred)
- cooking: 1 year (preferred)
- Related: 2 years (preferred)
- Food Safe, SafeCheck, Food Handler or equivalent (preferred)
- Occupational First Aid (required)