Western Forest Products has an exciting opportunity to apply your senior-level reporting skills as a Director, Corporate Reporting in a highly interactive environment based in Downtown Vancouver.
What You’ll Do: As Director, Corporate Reporting, you’ll be responsible for a full range of financial and management accounting, reporting and analysis, leading a team of three direct reports. As a technical accounting expert in International Financial Reporting Standards, you will work closely with finance and operations teams across the organization to provide accounting guidance, support and leadership in finance and cross-functional projects. As the finance business lead, you will partner with the Executive, Human Resources, Information Technology and Legal teams, as well as collaborate with other Finance functions including Operational Finance, Tax, Treasury and Internal Audit.
Who You Are: You are a CPA-CA with a track record of success as a financial leader working in a medium to large multi-jurisdictional public company with audit experience in a Big 4 Firm. You are a self-motivated leader who is effective in aligning, streamlining and improving systems and building a strong service-oriented finance team across the organization. Your innate desire to gain an in-depth understanding of the business will develop your reputation as a desired business partner and aid in preparing you for rapid advancement to more senior roles.
Work Environment: This position is based out of our Corporate Office in Downtown Vancouver.
- Responsible for all monthly consolidated financial reporting and analysis, including monthly and ad-hoc financial reporting and analysis for management and decision-making purposes;
- Responsible for quarterly consolidated financial statements and note disclosure including related supporting analysis for external disclosure;
- Prepare Management’s Discussion & Analysis, Results News Releases, Quarterly and Annual Reports, Annual Information Form, and other regulatory and stakeholder requirements, with support of Corporate Reporting personnel;
- Support Management Information Circular and Sustainability Report preparation;
- Manage accounting and financial reporting for corporate departments, including oversight of property, capital asset and lease accounting;
- Lead annual business planning process for corporate departmental budgets;
- Prepare legal entity financial statements and other financial information in support of tax provision, tax return and other regulatory filing requirements;
- Coordinate financial statement reviews and audits by external auditor;
- Act as primary contact for technical accounting matters, including preparation of technical research documentation to support accounting recommendations;
- Own finance function of Microsoft Dynamics 365 financial reporting system, including financial report creation and maintenance;
- Maintain accounting policies, processes and controls to ensure the integrity and timeliness of consolidated financial statements and disclosures;
- Lead, guide and support finance and cross-functional projects, both at the corporate and operational levels and including IT systems implementations; and
- Other duties and project opportunities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Accounting designation – CPA or CPA-CA required;
- Minimum 7 years of combined experience in financial reporting with a medium to large multi-jurisdictional public company and audit with a Big 4 firm; and,
- Experience in forest products or resource industry is an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Well versed in IFRS and its application;
- Ability to critically analyze existing processes and results to resolve issues and drive improvements;
- Ability to lead and coordinate completion of multiple deliverables within fixed timelines;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills with ability to work effectively in team environment;
- Passion for technical accounting and experience in interpretation of accounting pronouncements;
- Strong business focus, organizational skills and attention to detail;
- High level of integrity, accountability and ownership, and ability to work independently;
- Innate desire to seek out and lead improvements;
- Experience with Microsoft D365 is an asset.
At Western Forest Products, we believe our most significant asset is our people. Investing in our people brings value and success to our business, ensuring a safe, engaged, productive and continuously improving workplace. We offer challenging opportunities working alongside the best in the industry to meet your career and professional development goals while providing competitive total rewards and recognition.
We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
Our total rewards offering including competitive pay, performance bonus, pension plan, benefits and other programs designed to support our employees.
Western Forest Products is a leading forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia with operations in the coastal region of BC and Washington State, Western meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering.
Our commitment to health and safety, environmental stewardship and community engagement is core to how we do business at Western Forest Products.
Our approach to responsible business practices in all aspects of our business is multi-faceted. We adhere to and employ the most stringent environmental practices in the world. The steps we take to ensure the forests in which we operate are renewed and remain healthy and viable for future generations are mirrored in the care we take to make certain our communities continue to grow and prosper. This includes investing in communities where we operate and continuing to forge mutually beneficial relationships with First Nations in respect of their local and cultural interests.
Job Type: Full-time
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Chartered Professional Accountant (preferred)
Work Location: In person