Social Worker 3, Community Transition Team
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Correctional Health Services (CHS) is a province-wide specialized service program providing care for clients during their time in one of BC’s 10 provincial correctional facilities. Our clients are more likely to require mental health and substance use support than those outside the system; and we provide them health services including medical and nursing care, mental health and substance use treatment support, basic emergency response services and more. We believe everyone deserves a chance to heal and CHS offers a non-judgemental place to help make that happen. CHS is part of BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS), a program of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). At CHS safety comes first, and we invite you to join our dedicated, compassionate team to make a difference in our clients’ lives and improve continuity of care. Career opportunities include multi-disciplinary roles ranging from nurses and physicians, to dentists, social workers, and more specialized team members who help patients transition back into public life. See the latest CHS careers and apply today at jobs.phsa.ca/correctionalhealthservices.
Hear first hand about how safe it is to work in Correctional Health Services: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smHaWQxTnjs.
What you’ll do
- Conduct comprehensive health, concurrent disorder, mental health and/or substance use, and family assessments by methods such as interviewing the client and family, obtaining relevant information, gathering social data regarding the client and family and formulation of assessment and plan of intervention, in accordance with professional practice standards and clinical policies.
- Provide clinical intervention in the context of evidence-based care to clients and their families through individual, family and group therapy.
- Support clients and their families by providing education, short-term counselling and crisis intervention after the client’s release from the provincial correctional centres regarding concurrent disorder, mental health and/or substance use issues, child welfare and custody proceedings and change or loss in health functioning.
- Facilitate comprehensive discharge planning for designated clients with the team, client, family and community agencies to ensure psycho-social follow-up.
- Establish and maintain effective collaborative and constructive liaison relationships with a variety of individuals and groups, including clients and families, community providers, MCFD social workers, schools, hospitals and other agencies, in order to coordinate services across the continuum of health care.
What you bring
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited School of Social Work, including relevant graduate level mental health courses and mental health practicum.
- Minimum 1 year recent related clinical experience working within a correctional health or other related setting; must include experience in child protection, child development and grief and loss, women’s issues, women abuse and harm reduction model; or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
- Valid BC Driver’s License. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle.
You also have:
- Comprehensive knowledge of Social Work theory and practice, trauma informed care.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and document a comprehensive psychosocial and family assessment in a correctional health context.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to provide crisis intervention, short term counselling and individual, family and group therapy.
- Knowledge of the psychosocial needs of clients and their families.
- Knowledge of the criminal justice and corrections systems.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Wage: $38.40 to $48.01 per hour
Location: 2840 Nanaimo Street, Victoria, V8T 4W9
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 8:30-17:00
Requisition # 121676
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS) cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
BCMHSUS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCMHSUS are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Location: 2840 Nanaimo St, Victoria, BC V8T 4W9, Canada
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $38.40-$48.01 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday