Full-time (35 hours/week), Contract position (3 Months)
Black Creek Community Health Centre (BCCHC) is a community based non-profit organization that provides primary health care and health promotion programs and services to community residents.
The COVID Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor will be an integral part of the Health Promotion Team at Black Creek Community Health Centre. As a member of an interdisciplinary team, they will be required to liaise with internal and external stakeholders in responding to crises and in the provision of trauma-informed counselling services to members of the community. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Health Promotion and Community Services, this position will be responsible for offering short term individual and group counselling primarily to individuals affected by substance use and abuse. The COVID Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor will work from multiple locations, including shelters and community agencies and satellite locations.
- Assist in planning, coordinating and organizing efforts related to the health and well-being of clients and the community
- Complete assessments of individuals considering the interactions of substance use, mental health and the Social Determinants of Health
- Provide supports to community members and groups on addressing trauma, particularly in stressful life situations impacted by COVID
- Provide short and long-term solutions to individuals and families dealing with addictions and mental health problems
- Develop, implement and evaluate group programs in response to clients and community needs
- Act as a resource to inter-disciplinary team members
- Other related duties as assigned
- Masters Degree in Psychology, Social Sciences or Social Work and member in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers & Social Service Workers
- Minimum 3 years of recent counselling experience in a community or social service setting
- Highly developed understanding and knowledge of trauma as it relates to vulnerable and immigrant populations
- Fluency in English and one of the following languages is required: French, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Training and/or experience in a variety of theoretical models with experience incorporating multicultural, anti-oppressive and trauma-informed practices, and an understanding of the social determinants of health
- Extensive experience in working collaboratively across systems: health, education, child welfare, justice, etc.
- Demonstrated ability in clinical case management, service planning and implementation
- Extensive experience in group facilitation skills, particularly with hard-to reach individuals
- Excellent interpersonal, decision making and organizational skills required
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Computer competency and experience working with Electronic Medical Records – PS Suites is an asset
Senior Manager, Health Promotion and Community Services
Please be advised that all staff, students, and volunteers must be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination (or medical exemption) is a requirement of employment.
Black Creek Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer that serves one of Toronto’s most diverse neighbourhoods. Applicants from racialized and other marginalized communities, including Francophones and Indigenous, are strongly encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided for candidates with disabilities, where needed and on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.
Please send application to
Note that only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted