“The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.”
- Willie Nelson
Southern B.C’s premier artisan cheese company, Golden Ears Cheesecrafters, is now hiring an Assistant Artisan Cheesemaker.
Golden Ears Cheesecrafters is a family owned and operated company in Maple Ridge, BC. We believe handcrafting the highest quality cheese starts with sourcing the highest quality milk. That’s why 100% of the milk we use is from our family’s herd of grass fed Jersey cows that live right next door.
We are looking for passionate individuals with positive attitudes that are looking for a career to match. No cheesemaking experience necessary: we are willing to teach the right candidates.
Basic candidate requirements:
- Interest in local and sustainable food
- Desire to contribute to company growth
- Excellent multitasking skills
- Detail oriented
- Physically fit: able to lift at least 50lbs and work on your feet
- Production and physical labour experience
Cheesemaking is a challenging and rewarding career requiring physical strength and critical thinking. You'll spend the majority of the day on your feet, and after a long day making cheese in the production room, you'll likely be tired, sweaty, but filled with gratification. Cheesemaking is also deeply rooted in food science and the chemistry behind turning raw milk into cheese. A keen mind and appreciation for learning basic food science principles will challenge you mentally, and provide the fundamentals for a future in artisan food production. The end of a day of production involves the satisfaction of seeing and touching the products of your labour: high quality, delicious artisan cheese to share with friends and family along with the story of how it was made.
Assistant Artisan Cheesemaker role:
- Full time position, Tuesday to Saturday
- Opportunities for growth and learning
- Insurance benefits are available after 3 months
- 4% Vacation Pay on top of regular wages
- Starting wage $14.00/hr
Assistant Artisan Cheesemaker duties include:
- Working alongside our Lead Cheesemaker to train in cheesemaking and affinage (the practice of caring for and aging cheese)
- Completing cheesemaking and affinage duties, and working to build and develop these skills
- Cleaning and sanitation duties
- Churning butter
- The potential for involvement in regional farmers markets selling Golden Ears cheese and products
Come and join the Golden Ears Cheesecrafters team! Apply in person at 22270 128 Ave, Maple Ridge with a current resume and cover letter on Monday - Friday between 9am- 3pm. Ask for Cole or Jenna. If unable to apply in person during these times please email your cover letter and resume.
*Only candidates considered for the positions will be contacted. Thank you for taking the time to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $14.00 /hour
- BC Driver's Licence (Required)