The prime objective of the Maintenance Supervisor is to oversee the completion of scheduled maintenance jobs using the highest level of quality, safety and effectiveness at minimum cost to maximize equipment availability and optimize reliability.
- To serve as a role model in the areas of safety, environmental stewardship, leadership, teamwork, customer focus, and continuous improvement to ensure alignment with the company’s vision and critical success factors.
- Ensure the safe and effective operation of the maintenance unit.
- Be familiar with and support the plant's Environmental Management System including being aware of any specific duties outlined in the program.
- Minimize frequency & severity of accidents of maintenance personnel and contractors via risk identification process.
- Provide a work environment that promotes individual growth.
- Review of weekly schedule and address concerns with Maintenance Manager.
- Assign and review work to perform with millwrights. Maintain schedule priority and compliance.
- Review job cleanliness requirements and review with Production weekly after schedule posting.
- Complete maintenance related jobs according to the highest standards of safety, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Streamline job execution and associated repair costs.
- Ensure, upon completion of repairs, that equipment is in good operating condition, ready to meet operational requirements, completed alarm reviews, safe and job site is clean.
- Respond to emergency breakdowns to ensure prompt repairs.
- Provide reporting to the Maintenance Manager and feedback to millwrights on repair jobs including consumption of materials, tools, man hours & skill.
- Review equipment history files and ensure properly recorded histories in work order completions in the maintenance management module
- Continuously report on maintenance performance during major overhauls and recommend corrective actions to maintain the department budget and schedule.
- Responsible to develop and execute part of the annual training plan for all millwrights.
- Provide a safe working environment for all employees.
- Supervise millwrights as well as contractors when required to complement work crews.
- Administer the terms and conditions of the Collective Agreement in a fair, firm, and consistent manner. Provide grievance counseling as required.
- Completion of work orders as per weekly schedule in the maintenance management module. Reassign work as per plant priorities and emergencies.
- Ensure that maintenance activities comply with all legislated regulations and corporate policies.
- Promote good relations and communication between the maintenance and production departments.
- Ensure productivity, housekeeping and quality of work standards are maintained within the mechanical maintenance department.
- Aim to achieve 98% reliability on all major pieces of equipment.
- Achieve personal and departmental goals.
- Participate in the plant “On-Call” system.
- Investigate, report, provide and implement corrective actions for all safety incidents and near misses.
- Responsible for the maintenance and reliability of all plant mobile equipment.
- Provide weekly budget statistics to the Maintenance Manager.
- Coordinate training for the millwrights including the mentoring of millwright apprentices.
Relationships with Others’ Jobs:
The Maintenance Supervisor reports to the Maintenance Manager. Maintenance Mechanics (Millwrights) report to the Maintenance Supervisor.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technologist, or equivalent field experience.
- Optimize skills adequacy to jobs and ensure the transfer of technical know-how.
- Proven experience in executing major work and plant shutdowns
- Knowledge of labor law and personnel management rules.
- Work quality control, analysis of execution modes and identification of improvements.
- Experience with Computerized Mechanical Maintenance System (CMMS) and the maintenance management module in SAP.
- Strong communicator (both oral & written).
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact with plant personnel.
- Highly motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated commitment to achieving organizational and personal goals.
The incumbent will be able to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Extensive experience in heavy equipment repair; experience in inspection an asset.
- In depth knowledge of preventative and predictive maintenance.
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment (co-workers, contractors, etc.)
- Well organized and systematic.
- Action Oriented
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Priority Setting
- Problem Solving
Job Type: Full-time
- supervisor: 3 years (Required)
- Maintenance Supervisor: 3 years (Required)