Job Summary: Aunt Leah’s Place helps prevent children in care and youth aging out from foster care from becoming homeless and mothers in need from losing custody of their children.
The Donations Centre Manager works as a cooperative member of the Social Enterprise Team and the Development Team by optimizing entrepreneurial business at the Donations Centre. The Donations Centre is our hub for selection and distribution of donated products that support our Social Enterprises - Thrift Store sales, online sales via Shopify, re-direction to other community organizations, recycling, and furnishing assisted living suites. Our ideal Donations Centre Manager is a well-organized individual who loves to thrift and is comfortable to prioritize in a fast paced environment, has an eye for fashion and style and is able to work with diverse group of people such as volunteers or retail trainees.
This role oversees all aspects of Donations Centre operations including orientation, training, and supervision of staff and volunteers. Additionally, the manager provides focused attention on donors by building rapport and clearly communicating Aunt Leah’s mission. The manager will collaborate with the Thrift Store Manager and work a weekly sales shift at the Thrift Store.
Reports To: Social Enterprise Lead
Qualifications: Post-Secondary in business administration and 3-5 years of experience in retail management, or relevant combination of education and experience.
Skills, Knowledge & Attributes:
- Excellent Communication Skills (Verbal & Written)
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of retail management best practices
- Knowledge of e-commerce platform. Familiarity with Shopify preferred.
- Excellent Interpersonal & Team Building Skills
- Cultural Awareness & Sensitivity
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Excellent Donor Relations Skills
- Supervisory/ Management Skills
- Undergo & maintain satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Standard First Aid
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
- A valid BC Driver’s License and access to a vehicle
- Produce a clear Driver’s Abstract
- Agrees to the Society’s Code of Ethics
- Ability to lift 50lb or heavier
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Donations Centre Duties include:
- Seasonal Sales Events: Works on the sales floor to raise customer pool, expand traffic and ensure that all volunteers & staff provide exceptional customer service to all customers. Deals with customer queries and complaints.
- Donor Relations: Establishes positive relations with individuals and companies who donate goods to the Thrift Store. Supports the Thrift Store Manager and supervises the Driver & Donations Assistant and Love to Give Program.
- Marketing: Works with the Development team to ensure that all advertising and publicity has an optimum advantage.
- Product Selection & Merchandising: Maintains physical condition of Donations Centre by planning and implementing new floor designs around product flow. Receives product donations and selects fashionable and in-style product for thrift store sales floor. Performs duties such as sorting, pricing, folding, hanging, and visual merchandising. Manages the community Re-Direct program. Assists in two thrift store merchandise seasonal flips per year.
- Operations: Ensures Donations Centre operations are running smoothly and efficiently, including distribution of goods through the Donations Centre, Online Store, and Thrift Store. Works with Support Link and other Aunt Leah’s housing programs to manage suite inventory as needed. Controls inventory levels by conducting physical counts and reconciling with inventory management system.
- Donation Pick-ups: Works with the Driver & Donations Assistant and Thrift Store Manager to ensure quality donation item pick-ups and inter-store transfers are completed efficiently.
- Reporting: Prepares reporting to track and measure outcomes (e.g.: emergency drills, changes in demographics, donors, and education status) and participates in the yearly Outcomes Report.
- Volunteers & Staff: Assists the Social Enterprise Lead in hiring, training and supervising Donations Centre staff. Supports the Volunteer Coordinator in the process of recruitment, retention and training of staff and volunteers in the Donations Centre.
2. Financial Responsibilities:
- Oversees record keeping and cash handling by working with the Driver & Donations Assistant and Thrift Store Manager
- Ensures that Risk Management Procedures are followed in the Donations Centre
- Manages the financial aspects of Donations Centre and assists with the same for the Thrift Store
3. Health and Safety:
- Ensures Donations Centre is maintained to WorkSafe BC and Society standards to provide a clean and safe working environment
- Conducts regular emergency drills with staff and volunteers; checks Donations Centre safety devices monthly
- Ensures that staff and volunteers are knowledgeable of fire exit routes
- Participates in the annual review of Aunt Leah’s Health and Safety Policy and Procedures
- Submits Sales Reports to Social Enterprise Lead and Operations Director when needed
- Attends team meetings, Staff Development, Development Meetings and other meetings as requested by supervisor
- Seeks direction from supervisor in crisis situations
- Oversees and maintains the Donations Centre Communication Log
5. Physical Demands:
- This position requires some lifting of 50lb or heavier
6*. Hours of Work: *
- Forty hours per week, five days per week (Tuesday to Saturday 8 hours a day regular schedule. Schedule may change based on operational needs). Flexibility is required.
9. Other Duties as Assigned By Supervisor
- On a need basis, performs duties as assigned by supervisor to support the broader operational needs of the Society
- This position may be required to perform other related duties that do not affect the nature of the work.
We offer: A comprehensive benefit package (for positions that are longer than 6 months in duration) that includes: dental, extended health care including vision care and prescription, personal time package, and employee discount at our Thrift Store.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- New Westminster, BC (required)
- Retail Management: 1 year (preferred)
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place