Position: Outreach and Program Coordinator
Note: To be eligible for this position, candidates must submit BOTH (a) cover letter highlighting their experience relevant to the position and (b) resume. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
This position reports to the Executive Director (ED) and will be responsible for supporting activities related to the implementation and delivery of the Business Accelerator for Women Entrepreneurs (The Refinery), as well as supporting the outreach and partnership development requirements of Community Innovation Lab (iLab).
The Refinery Coordination
The Community Innovation Lab, through The Refinery, is providing professional development for women leading growth-oriented businesses. We offer ideas, inspiration, and motivation, help women entrepreneurs to build an action plan, and support business growth. The Refinery is also a marketing partner for members, and hosts product launches, professional events, and business meetings at the Co-iLab Hub. The Refinery aims to support 1335 women entrepreneurs over a three-year period in growing their business. In collaboration with, and reporting to the ED, The Outreach and Program Coordinator will coordinate outreach and intake of participants, program reports, event workshops and all other accelerator related activities. You will also be responsible for enhancing program quality and coordinating resources to effectively execute on deliverables for each Refinery boot camp and Intensive cohort, as well as the Essentials program. This will include coordinating support staff, resources and partners to plan and execute effective outreach and recruitment strategies to meet the program expected intake and launch each cycle within the prescribed time frames, funding parameters and geographic reach.
Key areas of accountability for this role:
- Outreach, Recruitment and Selection of Refinery Participants.
- Coordinate day to day activities and planning of events associated with the Refinery.
- Ensure communication materials are prepared and delivered to participants, partners and facilitators on a weekly basis.
- Support the highly-detailed process of gathering women entrepreneur applications and coordinating the selection and follow-up process.
- Assist with the coordination of work plan activities and entrepreneurship events (live and online) for program delivery (including speakers, workshops, mentors) etc.
- Implement the Refinery strategy and ensure expected deliverables are met under the Refinery program.
- Provide advisory services to participants where necessary
- Collect survey results, analyze data as it relates to participant progress, facilitators feedback and share with program team via a monthly report.
- Promote the program activities via a powerful social media presence.
- Provide monthly, quarterly and project end reports for funder.
- For each new cohort, assume lead responsibility in coordinating with the Executive Director and supporting associates to plan the Refinery accelerator lifecycle (regular Essentials, 2 Boot Camps and 1 Intensive cohort per year) and deliver outcomes as per the program requirements. This starts with a robust recruitment and outreach process a minimum of two months ahead of the project start and ends with measuring metrics with staff at each project end.
- Review with staff to develop and implement effective internal systems, processes, tools and metrics to increase the effectiveness of the Refinery program (smartsheet, box, growth wheel).
- Supervise supporting staff to ensure compliance with deliverables, facilitator follow ups, monthly reports on youth progress (incubation and mentorship cycles).
- Ensure the progress of women entrepreneurs are actively captured and documented by supporting staff and they are identifying challenges and progress on a weekly basis.
- Collaborate with the ED on progress reports, key performance indicators, program budgets, facilities and services, risk management and resource development.
- Work with staff and ED to ensure they prepare quarterly reports and statistics, capturing results and lessons learned as required by the funders.
- Undertake Weekly meetings with the Executive Director.
- Contribute to Community Innovation Lab sustainability through targeted membership, participant and partnership outreach, events and fundraising campaigns
- Ensure that the Community Innovation Lab, it’s programs and the Co-iLab Hub have a strong social media presence and drive traffic to our pages
- Connect and network with community partners, organizations and potential sponsors to encourage community engagement and sustainable partnership with Community Innovation Lab.
- Build a calendar of lively business engagements, events and activities both within the Co-iLab Hub and within the community to support iLab’s program and partnership events.
- Solid Business skills in the context of entrepreneurship or small business development
- Familiarity with the entrepreneurship ecosystem, including knowledge of key stakeholders and business development resources for women entrepreneurs in the community
- Experience working in, or with, a non-profit sector or incubator
- Sound knowledge of business development processes, concepts and practices, including frameworks such as business model development and design thinking.
- Preferably, direct experience in the development and/or operation of small business
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills to act as a resource for the specialized area, responding to inquiries, providing guidance, explanations and related support, and to develop program content and tools
- Solid analytical and decision making skills to identify, screen, and assess potential women-led business investment requests and opportunities
- Ability to develop and interpret financial statements, and to analyze business plans or other relevant documents.
- Understanding of business performance and financial monitoring reporting systems and processes
- Strong proposal and report writing, presentation and facilitation skills
- Have a strong action orientation and the drive to achieve results and community impact
Need to Haves
- Great attitude
- Exceptional business development, leadership, and communication skills. Must play extremely well with others (up, down, and sideways).
- High performer: You’re not a 9-to-5er or minute checker, but a project completer
- Passionate: You inspire others with your thirst to amplify the mission and vision of Community Innovation Lab
- Selfless: You check your ego at the door and focus on what’s best for Community Innovation Lab. You consider yourself a Brand Ambassador for the organization.
- High tolerance for complexity, grace under pressure, and consistently sound judgment
- Exceptional persistence and good humor in the pursuit of ambitious goals.
- Degree in Business or 3+ years full time professional experience in an entrepreneurial context
- 3+ years relevant experience in role related to entrepreneurship or business development, operations or management and/or finance
Hours per week: 35
Please submit your cover letter and CV outlining your interest in this role by 11:59 PM on October 4, 2019. Include “Program Coordinator Application” in the subject line of your email.
About the Community Innovation Lab
At the Community Innovation Lab, we envision a community where creativity, passion and determination fuel economic prosperity and growth. We are a not-for-profit organization based in Durham Region addressing the social and economic gaps in communities through innovation and entrepreneurship. Our mission is to inspire, catalyze, and advance a community of entrepreneurs. We are an incubator for enterprising ideas and an accelerator for promising ventures. Our signature programs support entrepreneurs - the Refinery (a business accelerator for women entrepreneurs), the NEET Youth Incubator (supporting young entrepreneurs), the Social Enterprise Accelerator (supporting social entrepreneurs), and the Co-iLab Hub – providing entrepreneurs with affordable space, professional development, skills training and connections to other entrepreneurs, industry leaders, innovators and thinkers.
Job Type: Full-time
- Entrepreneurship: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)