The Core Purpose of the Ottawa Mission is to reflect Jesus’ love in serving the homeless, the hungry, and the lost.
Our Mission is to provide food, shelter, clothing and skills, and offer healing, faith and hope for building a wholesome life
Our Vision is that all the hurting, hungry and lost in Ottawa find HOPE, HEALING & HOME
Our Values are Acceptance, Respect, Compassion, Integrity and Interdependence
\*\*\*PLUMBING EXPERIENCE ESSENTIAL FOR THIS POSITION\*\*\*
The Maintenance Worker is responsible for the daily upkeep, maintenance, repair and renovations of The Ottawa Mission’s buildings. He/she will be required to do a variety of tasks from framing, dry walling, painting, etc., to basic plumbing, basic electrical and a variety of repair work. He/she will be responsible for all building maintenance and preventative maintenance.
- Repair equipment, furniture, fixture or other physical items within The Ottawa Mission’s premises
- Repair plumbing or carpentry items, paint walls, doors, windows, furniture, etc. as required
- Build, repair or alter walls, partitions, doors, windows, floors and any other items that are damaged or non-functional
- Able to plan and execute projects or work orders with minimum supervision
- Assist in the maintenance of fire safety equipment, boilers, air exchange units, building utilities, kitchen equipment and on-site security systems
- Operate and maintain hand and power tools, woodworking and shop equipment; keep equipment clean and operational at all times
- Pick-up, deliver and maintain and goods and supplies required to perform maintenance tasks.
- Adhere to all Health and Safety rules and regulations
- Provide on-call emergency response within the facility as required
- Other related duties as required / assigned by supervisor
- Secondary School Diploma required
- College Diploma in a recognized Trade considered an asset
- Minimum of five (5) years as a tradesman or trades helper with experience in construction and renovations with a willingness to learn new skills.
- Plumbing experience essential
- Possess analytical and problem solving skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Experience and good working knowledge of shop equipment and hand tools, including power tools
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Ability to maintain long periods of varied physical activity: walking, standing, sitting, climbing stairs and ladders, bending, lifting, stooping, squatting and lying down to access tight or awkward spaces.
- Ability to climb ladders and comfortable working with heights (4 storey rooftops)
- Ability to maintain an atmosphere of courtesy and respect towards clients, staff and volunteers
- Comfortable working in a faith-based environment whose values are acceptance, respect, compassion, integrity and independence
- Flexibility in work hours
- Knowledge of personal Health and Safety regulations; WHMIS certification / Fall Protection Certification considered an asset
- Class “G” driver’s license considered an asset
High degree of physical activity involving various activities: walking, standing, sitting, climbing stairs and ladders, bending, lifting, stooping, squatting and sometimes lying down to access tight or awkward spaces
- Heights – Four (4) storey rooftops
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to move heavy furniture and/or equipment
- Must be comfortable working in a challenging environment that has the potential for confrontation and/or exposure to violence
We thank all applicants for their interest in The Ottawa Mission, however, due to the volume of resumés we receive, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
ACCOMMODATION IS AVAILABLE, UPON REQUEST, FOR ALL APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES
THE OTTAWA MISSION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Contract length: 6 months
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: From $25.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Discounted or free food
- Wellness program
COVID-19 Vaccination is a condition of employment. Strident COVID-19 safety protocols in place and enforced.
- maintenance: 5 years (preferred)