An International Fisheries Commission office in downtown Vancouver has a temporary, part-time contract position for the Web/Publication Manager. This individual will be responsible for managing the website—including regular updating, management, and maintenance—and for production of a few online publications for the Commission. This position requires competence in: Adobe software (specifically, but not limited to, InDesign and Photoshop); WordPress; copy editing; and strong computer skills important to word processing, design, and desktop publishing tasks. He/she is required to be knowledgeable in current technology of all subject areas pertaining to the responsibilities of this position. He/she is also required to participate in online virtual meetings (as requested) to provide support for web, publications, media, and general administration.
The Web/Publication Manager will be working at the NPAFC Secretariat office located in downtown Vancouver, BC during the contracted term. However, due to the current situation with COVID-19, the Web/Publication Manager is asked to perform all duties from home until further notice and as personal safety allows. This is a temporary, part-time contract position with negotiable working hours up to a maximum of 7.5 hrs/day, Monday to Friday, (excluding Statutory Holidays) from April 15, 2021 to August 31, 2021.
Deadline for Job Applications: April 9, 2021.
About the organization (https://npafc.org):
The North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission (NPAFC) is an international intergovernmental organization established by the Convention for the Conservation of Anadromous Stocks in the North Pacific Ocean. The member countries are governments of Canada, Japan, Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation, and the United States of America. The Commission was established in 1992.
The successful candidate will perform the following duties, but are not limited to:
- Troubleshoots any problems with the website content, links, transaction logs, etc.
- Monitors the website to keep it online, functioning properly, and assures availability to users.
- Systematically manages website maintenance, keeps files relevant to changes and updates, retains well-organized reference files, performs systematic back-ups.
- Updates and maintains web-based databases with assistance of administration.
- Organizes, creates, revises, and maintains web design, layout, and content using a variety of graphics, animations, and other software at the request of the Deputy Director.
- Manages access rights of different website users in consultation with administration.
2. Publications and Other Media
- Responsible for production of all publications in coordination with administration and content developers.
- Designs and produces page layouts in consultation with authors and administration.
- Coordinates all aspects of production for print, audio-visual, or electronic materials.
- Tracks the publication process and curates content.
- Manages archive of NPAFC documents, provides access to them according to assigned distribution status.
3. Responsibilities Applicable to both the Website and Publications
- Continually looks for ways to make the web and published materials more effective or efficient in their delivery to intended audiences.
- Renders sketches, layouts, and graphic elements for publications and media using traditional tools, multimedia software, and image processing.
- Keeps track of copyright information, ownership of copyrighted material, and adherence to copyright procedures of the web and publications.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
- Graduation with a degree/diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution with specialization in web design, publication design/management, and/or computer science.
- At least one year of experience in web management and/or publication graphics.
- Strong verbal and written English communication and editing/proofreading skills.
- Publication graphics/editing skills: Experience in publication production and distribution process; ability to proof-read for grammar, punctuation, and spelling; ability to summarize and synthesize information; advance skills in Adobe Creative Suite for print, specifically: InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop; advance skills in formatting in Word, Excel and PowerPoint; great typography skills; knowledge in publication styles such as AFS or Chicago-style; knowledge in DSLR Photography; knowledge in medium to large photo library management (i.e., using Adobe Lightroom).
- Strong computer skills: Knowledge in Office 365 administration: Outlook/Exchange, Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, GoToMeeting, phone and videoconferencing; capability to be on top of new web and publication related software.
- Basic administration: Knowledge of general administrative office procedures; ability to support and assist office administration as requested; ability to organize workload, prioritize/identify urgent work items.
- Off-site or online virtual meetings: Render web/publication support to the office staff and participants; flexible with working hours as the job requires.
The following is not required but is considered an asset:
- Knowledge of copyright legislation
- Knowledge in DOI, ISSN, and ISBN
- Knowledge of indexing print/online publications with commercial and private services
Please provide concrete examples to demonstrate how you meet the experience qualifications when completing the application. Assumptions about experience will not be made based on required qualifications or listing previous/current duties. The depth and breadth of experience of an applicant may be considered as part of screening or selection of a candidate, thus it is recommended you quantify and describe your experience. The cover letter is the primary source of information that will be used to evaluate potential candidates, and the resume is a secondary source for verification of qualifications and skills.
Benefits & Remuneration:
- Salary: $27.00/hour
- Starting Date: April 15, 2021
**No applications from outside Canada will be accepted nor acknowledged**
For Canadian Residents: The successful applicant must reside in Greater Vancouver, BC, Canada. Successful candidates from outside the Greater Vancouver area will be expected to relocate at their own expense. Send resume, cover letter, and portfolio weblink or pdfs (no more than 20MB) to the e-mail address in this job post (no phone calls please) by April 9, 2021.
Applicants contacted for an interview will be required to submit at least two references.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $27.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Work from home
Qualified applicant will have to abide to the established NPAFC Secretariat COVID-19 protocols. A detailed document will be provided once the applicant is employed.
- Adobe Creative Suite: 1 year (required)
- WordPress: 1 year (required)
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (required)
- Web design: 1 year (required)
- Publication design/management: 1 year (required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place