HR Project Partners is currently accepting resumes for a Teaching Assistant – Relief Instructor on behalf of our client, Make A Change Canada. Working as part of a student-focused and highly interactive educational team, the ideal candidate would enjoy mentoring and coaching others, has great communication skills, is highly organized, and has well-rounded experience in the Information Technology/Web Development and Design sector. Experience in the instruction of others and curriculum design and development are assets.
This is a remote position and arranged on a contract basis. Reporting to the CEO/Dean of Educational Programs, the duration of this position is for four (4) to six (6) months (depending on the date of hire), with the possibility of extension. Additional opportunities for teaching may be available to the successful candidate in future program intakes.
Make A Change Canada is a Nelson, BC-based national and accredited registered charity and Certified Educational Institution under ESDC that provides online career assistance training as well as a certified web development and design skills training program. Now in its 16th year of operation, Make A Change Canada serves individuals facing barriers to employment across Canada in its online and uniquely supportive programs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Providing instructional support to students enrolled in the introductory and/or advanced, Applied Web Development and Design (AWDD) Certificate programs during both scheduled office assistance hours and one-on-one sessions.
- Includes ongoing support to students through Moodle/CometChat, GoToMeeting, telephone, and email, supporting the course instructor.
- Attending the online classroom sessions alongside the course instructor in GoToTraining.
- Contributing to individual and overall team tracking emails, as applicable, to report student issues and coordinate service response, accordingly and in a time-sensitive manner.
- Ensuring ongoing follow-up and coordination of student services with Make A Change Canada as required.
- Leading classroom sessions in GoToTraining for applicable courses, if providing relief to a course instructor.
- Providing grading support for a course instructor using grading and feedback templates, if required.
- Correctly applying Make A Change Canada academic policies as published in the AWDD Student Handbook; Adherence to service and quality standards (i.e., timing for grading, use of language conventions, etc.).
- Reporting any potential service issue to the Education and Training Coordinator and/or CEO, as applicable.
- Attending team and other meetings as arranged by Make A Change Canada as required.
- Contributes to and maintains an energetic, professional, safe, and fun environment during the program.
- Effectively attends to and assists students with personal learning challenges.
- Provides students facing barriers to employment the opportunity to enhance their skills in a flexible and supportive learning environment.
- Provides expertise and direction to students relating to the range of career streams leading from the successful completion of Make A Change Canada’s programs.
- Providing additional systems support as may be required to ensure courses proceed smoothly.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum completion of a diploma or degree in a recognized educational program (Education, Business, Engineering, Computer Science, or another related field).
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working with people with disabilities or those who require modifications is mandatory.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in Information Technology/Web Development and Design sector.
- Experience in web server administration and domain administration.
- Experience in current web design and implementation practice leading to the development of industry-standard and mobile-ready websites.
- Extensive hands-on experience developing custom websites for businesses or organizations.
- Provincial Instructor Diploma or Certificate or willing to work towards designation.
- Experience working in a teaching environment or instructing online is a preference.
- Experience in the development of multimedia assets and/or instructional materials is a preference.
- Experience in PHP and SQL, and in leading CMSs including WordPress is a preference.
- Applicants with a successful track record working with individuals with physical and cognitive disabilities will be given preference.
Knowledge, Skills, & Attributes:
- Ability to work independently with little direction and/or within a team environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to forecast, analyze, and work calmly under pressure.
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Proficient in the use of Adobe Suite, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Typing speed of 30-40 words per minute required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate compassion, empathy and a non-judgmental approach.
- Professional, respectful, and polite approach in all student and business interactions.
- Sound organizational, electronic file management, and project management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to apply correct form and rules of the English language.
- Accuracy, attention to detail, and the ability to proofread and edit own work to standard.
- Strong passion for helping others and a positive attitude.
HR Project Partners Inc. (HRPP) is a Human Resources consulting company offering various services in Human Resources, both to individuals and to companies. One of those services is recruitment for companies on a provincial and national basis.
HR Project Partners Inc. is committed to fostering a diverse workforce and a respectful work environment. We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Please apply directly to this job posting. While HR Project Partners appreciates all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- working with people with disabilities: 3 years (preferred)
- information technology/web development: 5 years (preferred)