The Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Designer is responsible for the electrical and mechanical packaging design of printed circuit boards and the generation of manufacturing packages (Assembly/Fabrication Drawings, BOMs, Change Orders, etc.). The successful candidate will be responsible for the coordinating the design and production process of the manufacturing packages, maintaining CAD part libraries, providing the Project Lead with estimates for workloads, and reporting on work progress.
The PCB designer will conduct design reviews with our Hardware Engineering Designers both locally and remotely via web-based review.
- Schematic capture of circuits designed by the Hardware Engineering team
- Creating and sustaining component symbol and footprint databases
- Electrical/Mechanical design and layout of Printed Circuit Boards in a cost-efficient manner
- Providing technical support to contract manufacturers and PCB fabricators
- Qualifying PCB fabricator tool data
- Generating Manufacturing Package and associated documentation for Procurement including Assembly Drawings, PCB Fabrication Drawings and Bills of Materials.
- Supporting change traffic (ECO’s) pertaining to the PCB/Assembly data
- Providing technical support to Purchasing Agents
- Performing First Article /Quality Inspections of PCB’s,CCA’s
- Sustaining the CAD tools used for the generation of the PCB data and mentoring new tool users
- Status reporting
Must Have skills & abilities:
- Electrical technologist diploma, or equivalent experience and education
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar position
- Experience with the following:
- working in a medium sized ’Product’ company
- working with contract manufacturers and PCB fabricators
- high-density, sensitive RF PCB design techniques
- sequential lamination, blind and buried via PCB design techniques
- flex circuit PCB design techniques
- PCB design process, and knowledge of PCB fabrication and CCA assembly processes for a Lead Free environment
- PCB cost reduction initiatives such as material utilization, laminate substitution, low cost center 2nd source fabricator, etc.
- working with PLM tools such as Agile
- Knowledge of good layout practices (cross talk avoidance, signal integrity, controlled impedance etc.)
- Significant industry experience in the following CAD software: Altium Designer, Allegro, ORCAD-CIS and AutoCAD
- Experience in using a CAM software tool such as ViewMate or CAM350 to assess and approve manufacturing data output
- Above average knowledge of industry best practices in terms of DFM and DFA
- Familiarity with IST methodology (Interconnect Stress Testing) for purposes of PCB supplier/material qualification
- Proficiency with IPC requirements is a strong asset
- High level of skill in MS Office
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet multiple demands and deadlines along with strong organizational skills
At ORBCOMM we hire for fit. We look for candidates that are serious about their careers and hold the same level of enthusiasm for building a world class company that we do.
About ORBCOMM Inc.
ORBCOMM (Nasdaq: ORBC) is a global leader and innovator in the industrial Internet of Things, providing solutions that connect businesses to their assets to deliver increased visibility and operational efficiency. The company offers a broad set of asset monitoring and control solutions, including seamless satellite and cellular connectivity, unique hardware and powerful applications, all backed by end-to-end customer support, from installation to deployment to customer care. ORBCOMM has a diverse customer base including premier OEMs, solutions customers and channel partners spanning transportation, supply chain, warehousing and inventory, heavy equipment, maritime, natural resources, and government. For more information, visit www.orbcomm.com. You can also connect with ORBCOMM at https://blog.orbcomm.com, on Twitter at @ORBCOMM_Inc, at https://www.linkedin.com/company/orbcomm or at https://www.youtube.com/c/ORBCOMM_Inc.
At ORBCOMM, we believe that our people are our strength. Our success stems from our ability to attract and retain the best people who deliver a high level of performance and skill.
If you are looking for a significant career opportunity and the chance to work for an established, successful and high growth company, ORBCOMM is the ideal place for you.
We are committed to employment equity. ORBCOMM would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise them that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ORBCOMM is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday