Extreme Weather Heat Response Coordinator 2 – Seasonal Position
Contract – $25 per hour – 100 - 150 hours over 5 months (based in Burnaby, BC)
About Us: This is a project of the Burnaby Extreme Weather Heat Response (EWHR) Committee, on behalf of The Task Force To End Homelessness In Burnaby. The Task Force provides leadership towards establishing and operating the EWHR for people experiencing homelessness in Burnaby during heat waves.
The Extreme Weather Heat Response Coordinator 2 will:
- Operate an intermittent pop up cooling site for homeless persons when daytime temperatures reach 29 degrees for two or more consecutive days. Includes set up/take down and the oversight of volunteers. It is estimated that Burnaby will experience 12 extreme heat days per year.
- Organize and coordinate welcoming assistance and services at the cooling site including free: water, food, cooling materials (e.g. fans, cloths), clothing, sunscreen, games, access to Wi-Fi / computer, etc.
- Arrange and coordinate organizational support through the Primary Care Network, Fraser Health, Progressive Housing, Burnaby Library, Ministry of Social Development & Poverty Reduction, Community Peer Resources and others as appropriate.
- Recruit, train and coordinate volunteers for the EWHR including developing task duties and orientation material, supporting the delivery of services within a minimal-barrier culture of inclusion and caring.
- Closely work with the Extreme Weather Heat Response Coordinator 1 to plan and coordinate EWHR services including recommending revisions to Burnaby’s EWHR Plan.
Priorities will be given to applicants who:
- Demonstrate good experience organizing events and public relations;
- Have excellent communication and organizational skills; including demonstrated abilities to liaise with a wide variety of stakeholders and concerned citizens;
- Have an ability to work independently and as a member of a diverse team;
- Possess strong leadership skills
- Current Driver’s License; use of vehicle an asset (mileage provided)
- This position is particularly suitable to retired people or those with flexible work hours.
Reporting Structure: The Coordinator will report directly to the EWHR Lead, Karen O’Shannacery and indirectly to our Executive Director, Carol-Ann Flanagan
Start date: available immediately
End date: September 30, 2022
Apply on Indeed (please include a current resume and cover letter)
Job Types: Part-time, Casual, Seasonal
Contract length: 6 months
Part-time hours: 7 per week
Salary: $25.00 per hour
Our society works with high risk guests, as such we require that all our staff be fully vaccinated and wear a mask while working.
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Social Services Occupations: 1 year (preferred)
Application deadline: 2022-06-01
Expected start date: 2022-05-17