Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Operations & Finance delivers services and programs enabling Western’s community to benefit society and achieve excellence on the world stage.
The portfolio includes Campus Community Police Services, Facilities Management, Financial Services, Housing & Ancillary Services, Internal Audit and Legal Counsel.
The Executive Director provides strategic and operational leadership to support and advance institutional objectives related to their portfolio. The incumbent is a senior operating officer responsible for research, advice, relationship building, planning, project execution, change management and implementation of University strategies, working closely with the Vice-President, Operations & Finance (VPOF), internal and external boards and committees, Associate Vice-Presidents, Directors and Deans. The strategies usually involve campus wide initiatives (e.g. sustainability, enterprise risk management, open space strategy, collaborative projects with the City of London) promoting the reputation of the University, its people, education and research successes in order to raise public awareness and influence external stakeholders.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Law, Accounting, Communications
- Professional Certification in a related field, as appropriate (e.g. CPA or CHRL)
- Master’s Degree in a related field is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 10 years' experience in a related senior-level role, in a large, complex organization
- 7 years’ experience with accountability for leading staff, budgets and projects
- Experience in an academic institution is preferred
- Compelling and persuasive communication skills to engage individuals and teams inside and outside the University
- Business acumen with an advanced understanding of quality standards relative to operational improvement, strategic planning and business growth
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one's own unit
- A facilitative and consultative leadership and management style with respect for others and the ability to inspire trust
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills with an ability to compile, synthesize and interpret relevant data from a wide variety of sources, with an ability to pay exceptional attention to details.
- Familiarity with, and experience in the Canadian postsecondary educational landscape would be an asset
- Ability to organize and control a demanding schedule of conflicting priorities and deadlines and determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the University.
- Project management skills to align projects with strategic goals and operational objectives
- Ability to establish and build healthy respectful working relations with senior leaders, academic and administrative staff, as well as community members
- Ability to ensure expenditures and resources are within allotments, and to make appropriate modifications when required
- Ability to effectively drive and manage change initiatives that align with organizational strategies and/or provide opportunities to increase efficiency
- Ability to deal confidentially with information that has financial, political, regulatory and reputational implications
- Critical thinking and analytical skills to assess complex higher education issues of concern to stakeholders, including the media and the public
- Ability to draw on diversity of skills, backgrounds and knowledge of people to achieve more effective results
- Computer skills with the ability to learn and use relevant software that achieves required outcomes and is in line with best practices; advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office, business analytics and report writing software
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.