Oromocto (New Brunswick), Greenwood (Nova Scotia), Halifax (Nova Scotia), Kentville (Nova Scotia)
$25.56 to $27.77 per hour
31 December 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Positions to be filled:
Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- Possession of a valid Journeyperson Interprovincial Certification (Red Seal) in the Cook trade OR Cook Trade Qualification 5th Level (QL5) OR a manager approved combination of education, training, and/or experience.
- Experience working as a cook in an industrial or institutional cooking environment.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
Bilingual Imperative and Non-Imperative (BBB/BBB, CBC/CBC, CCC/CCC)
Other possible language requirements and profiles may be established as positions become available.
Information on language requirements
- Knowledge of food preparation procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of safety practices related to a food service operation.
- Knowledge of the Food safety code of practice for Canada's foodservice industry.
- Demonstrating integrity and respect – This competency includes the element of Discretion.
- Thinking things through
- Working effectively with others
- Showing initiative and being action-oriented
- Ability to communicate effectively orally.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Ability to read and follow direction.
- Ability to calculate weights and measurements in recipes.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
- Food Safety Certification
- Food Safety Instructor Certification
- Experience in large quantity cooking.
- Experience in preparing and issuing takeout meals.
- Experience in preparing meals for formal dining.
- Experience in working as a cook in a military establishment.
- Experience in operating a computer.
- Experience in all aspects of culinary arts (such as production, salads, bake shop, etc.).
Selection may be limited to members of the following Employment Equity groups: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, women
Information on employment equity
- Willingness to work shift work.
- Willingness to work overtime.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
- Ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 lbs in accordance with general safety practices.
- Must wear approved safety footwear and other personal protective equipment as required.
- Willing and able to work shifts as required.
- Willing and able to work weekends as required.
- Willing and able to work overtime as required.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Candidates must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
Applicants must apply on-line. Persons with disabilities preventing them from applying on-line are asked to contact 1-800-645-5605.
All information pertaining to the process will be sent by email. It is therefore your responsibility to verify your email account for new communication regarding this selection process on a regular basis.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.