Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract opportunity with an expected end date of March 31, 2021. Secondments are welcome.
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
The Office of the Registrar supports students’ academic pursuits as well as Western’s strategic goals by delivering an array of integrated services in a professional environment, while maintaining the integrity and confidentiality of student information throughout the student lifecycle.
The Student Financial Services Officer is part of a team that is responsible for administering approximately $36 million in merit and need-based Financial Aid programs to over 16,000 students, working in partnership with 12 faculties, Finance, Alumni Relations & Development and all departments within the Office of the Registrar. The successful candidate will coordinate the timely processing of scholarships, awards, bursaries and Work Study Bursary funding to meet the financial needs of students as well as Western’s Student Access Guarantee obligations with the MTCU, in the context of Western’s financial aid strategy.
- Undergraduate Degree in a related discipline
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years’ experience within a post-secondary environment
- 2 years working in a financial service environment is preferred
- Positive attitude with genuine customer service orientation with a proven ability to interact with people in a professional, respectful, and diplomatic manner
- Results-oriented with an ability to handle many tasks and maintain a high level of individual and team performance
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated analytical ability with a working knowledge of accounting principles to analyze and accurately synthesize sizable amounts of detail/data
- Strong interpersonal skills, sensitivity to student issues and the ability to exercise judgement appropriately to recognize when taking difficult but necessary positions in emotional circumstances is required
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft HE (Higher Education/Student Information system). Experience with PeopleSoft Financials is an asset
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of the services provided by the Office of the Registrar and a base understanding of the structure of the University environment (programs, faculties, services & requirements)
- Proven ability to work in a manner that is compliant with confidentiality requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with a variety of people and situations
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments and adapt to new policies and procedures
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.