Maritimes to U.S. Seaboard and return to Canada
Day & Ross Inc is currently seeking a full-time Owner Operator for our Freight division in Lachine, QC.
The Owner Operator is responsible for ensuring proper, safe and timely handling of a tractor trailer between terminals locally, both loaded and unloaded.
Day & Ross has been continuously recognized as an honored recipient of Canada’s Best Managed Companies since 2005.
Day & Ross is committed to an exceptional customer experience. We achieve this by being: authentic, committed, caring, trusted, and enthusiastic.
To be successful in this role, you will exceptionally complete the following (not an exhaustive list of responsibilities):
- Pre-trip inspection of tractor trailer prior to all trips.
- Accurate and timely maintenance of e-log
- Move trailers to and from the dock doors.
- Conduct a yard check which includes recording trailer numbers, refer settings, fuel level, trailer contents and seal numbers.
- Conduct reefer check including unit number, reefer settings and fuel level.
- Seal trailers and verify as required.
- Report any incidents of safety violation or security breaches.
- May be required to move freight from the back to the front of the trailer using a manual pallet jack.
- Maintain tractor in a respectable and clean condition.
- Drive line haul for Canada/US Lanes
- Other related duties as may be required.
To be qualified for this role, please ensure your resume clearly displays some or all of the following:
- Minimum of 12 months verified safe Tractor Trailer driving experience
- Truck no older than 10 years old, max weight full of fuel 20,000lbs
- Possess heavy vehicle driver license (Class 1 license)
- Excellent driving skills with a focus on attentive and defensive driving
- Must have a safety first mind set and be self-motivated.
- Able to communication in English – written and verbal
- Customer service focused
- Legally authorized to work in Canada
- Satisfactory drivers abstract (no older than 30 days), including no DUI violations in past five (5) years; no over the road preventable accidents (yard accidents will be reviewed); no more than two (2) moving violations in past two (2) years; no “defensive driving infractions” as outlined in onboarding document
- Satisfactory criminal record check (no older than three (3) months)
- One season winter driving experience
- Successful completion of a DOT drug test
- Road test by Day & Ross approved third party driving school
The working environment includes driving on a daily basis; may have a regular route or may be required to drive to a variety of locations. Also, rigid deadlines, adverse weather conditions and physical labour.
Please note that the successful candidate will be subject to reference and criminal background checks prior to employment.
We thank you for your application, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As a federally regulated employer, Day & Ross Inc fully supports the principles of employment equity and encourages all qualified members of the designated groups to apply.