Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western Libraries (WL) provides the library and archival expertise and infrastructure – information resources, technology, people, and spaces – required to cultivate and mobilize knowledge, and accelerate excellence in teaching, research and scholarship.
***please note this position is expcected to be filled by an internal applicant
The successful candidate will support the development new online content for Archives and Special Collections, including the Map Collection, by assisting with the development of online educational materials
This may involve work with developing and editing video and audio assets, assisting with course set-up in OWL, and creating online content using applications related to e-learning and instructional design.
- Must be a full-time student at Western (enrolled in minimum 3.5 courses) and retain full-time student status for the duration of this appointment
Skills, Abilities & Expertise:
- Familiarity with educational technologies, strategies and tools
- Familiarity with learning management systems (such as OWL/Sakai)
- Capable of quickly learning new software with the ability and willingness to learn
- Self-driven, independent thinker who is highly motivated and possesses an intrinsic passion for quality
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple and diverse tasks while ensuring attention to detail, and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment. Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve goals
- Interest in primary source material, such as archival documents and rare books
- Basic understanding of archives, records management and library terminology
- Written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to express ideas clearly and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Reliable and dependable with the ability to consistently work assigned schedule
- Ability to follow processes, practices and instructions accurately
- Ability to complete assigned work with high attention to detail
- Demonstrates integrity and works in accordance with Western’s policies and procedures
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized work environment
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to prioritize and organize a fluctuating work load
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Ability to work in a manner that is compliant with confidentiality requirements as applicable
How to Apply
Interested full-time Western Students are asked to complete an application through the Working at Western website for this role. Additionally, applicants must fill out a PDF document located at:
http://www.uwo.ca/hr/form_doc/temp/WL-StudentApp.pdf, and attach it electronically to your application.
- To avoid any technical issues, please save the form to your drive and then complete it*
Western offers a broad and exciting variety of part-time and temporary employment opportunities with ample room for job exploration and growth. Within our beautiful campus, you are part of a progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance including access to our state-of-the-art recreation centre. Apply for an opportunity to be part of the Western community and contribute to its success!
While transcripts are not required for the interview, they are mandatory prior to any offer of employment.
Applying at Western
To ensure that your application is given full consideration, please complete all relevant sections of the application. In addition, you can choose to supplement your application with a cover letter and current resume.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications. Applicants should have oral communication skills in English.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.