The Porter/Mail Clerk, with work direction from nursing care personnel, transports patients between hospital units and other treatment and diagnostic areas within the PHSA hospitals and host hospitals. Assists in lifting and transferring patients to and from stretchers and wheelchairs. Transports other materials such as patient care equipment, reports, mail and laboratory specimens as requested. Cleans and maintains the transporting equipment. Performs mailroom related duties as time permits.
1.Transports patients between hospital units and other treatment and diagnostic areas within the hospital and host hospital, if appropriate.
2.Assists other professional p patient care staff in the lifting and transferring of patients from stretchers and wheelchairs.
3.Changes linen on stretchers as required.
4.Reports to Supervisor any difficulties or problems relating to patient transfer.
5.Reports to nursing staff any observed changes in the patient’s condition.
6.Transports other material such as patient care equipment, reports, mail and laboratory specimens as required.
7.Cleans wheeled equipment and reports maintenance or repair requirements to the Supervisor.
8.Helps Supervisor maintain an inventory of transporting equipment such as wheelchairs and stretchers.
9.Answers telephone, takes messages and responds to requests for service during the Supervisor’s rest breaks.
10.Sorts internal and outgoing mail; operates postal machine and folder/inserter as time permits.
11. Starts the computer automated printing process for Canada Post and Meditran hard copy mail on the external document distribution system, as scheduled and according to established procedures, reporting problems to Supervisor.
12.Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
- Completion of Grade 10 plus graduation from a recognized Nursing Assistant Program or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.