360°kids has been a leader in the delivery of innovative support services for over 30 years as we work to improve the lives of homeless and at-risk youth and families in York Region. We are a vitally important community agency serving all of York Region. At 360°kids, we provide a unique continuum of care approach with a range of programs and services that are essential to the health and well-being of youth and that are proven strategies for helping to keep youth off the streets by providing safe housing options.
The Transitions Long Term Housing Program is a voluntary transition to independent living program. This program will build on the skills youth currently have and assist them in becoming successful as they continue on with their life’s journey and be successful in achieving their goals.
The Youth Worker for the Transitions program will support youth aged 16-26 in the 360°kids Transitional Long Term apartment(s) by providing mentorship, informal counselling and case management services in a respectful, peaceful and caring environment where they can get the support they need in order to achieve their goals.
Specific accountabilities include:
QUALIFICATIONS OR SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Assist youth in securing Basic Needs and Income Supports through assistance programs including OW and ODSP, utility funds, trusteeship programs, and specialty funds such as the Rent Bank.
- Provide mediation services and promote problem solving by facilitating a discussion that focuses on clear communication and achievable solutions between clients and landlords.
- Build and maintain strong relationships and engage in open communication with landlords.
- Complete youth check ins and home inspections on a monthly basis
- Reporting to Program Coordinator around areas of support and any escalated youth needs
- Plan and facilitate life skills programming for the youth in order to foster independence in participants by encouraging positive attitudes and reinforcing concrete daily living skills which are necessary for successful independent living.
- Assist and provide support in the development of youth action plans. Co-ordinate action plan activities and monitor progress.
- Provide client focused informal counselling and role modelling in an adaptable and flexible approach taking into consideration the unique qualities of each client.
- Advocate on youth’s behalf and act as a positive role model for youth.
- Coach and support youth and act as a positive role model, mentor, and support for youth as they learn new skills.
- Assist youth in accessing community programs and provide resources, informal counseling, referrals and advocacy services within their community.
- Assist with the coordination and collection of monthly rent from youth. Ensure rent is secured and transferred to Finance department in a timely manner.
- Maintain active and effective communication with the Program Coordinator and Manager of Community Housing Programs.
- With the Program Coordinator’s support, create and implement approved strategies and plans that will result in the achievement of the program’s goals and objectives.
- Report on a regular basis to the Program Coordinator regarding issues of need and/or concern. In the event of a crisis or critical incident, immediately report to appropriate level.
- Follow appropriate policies and procedures of 360°kids. Ensure that the program operates in line with 360°kids’ mission, vision, and values, and activities comply with applicable standards and laws.
- Work with Program Coordinator and Manager to ensure program success while positively contributing to 360°kids as an organization.
- Other duties as required.
- CYW Degree/diploma or a related Human Services discipline or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum two (2) years community service work experience and demonstrated experience working with street involved youth and awareness of issues surrounding homelessness, sexual and mental health, abuse, human trafficking, and addictions youth presently face.
- Knowledge of current housing market and York Region services an asset.
- Strong administration and engagement skills including motivation, coaching/mentoring, empowerment and demonstrated initiative.
- Ability to make decisions and work independently, strong personal ethics, integrity, reliable, time management and organization skills.
- Excellent relationship building, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong demonstrable oral and written communication with all levels of staff, the public and clients while maintaining objectivity.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, staff, employment partners, community agencies and the public with a working knowledge of York Region services.
The ideal candidate will be able to work independently in a dynamic, complex environment and organize time and workload effectively.
Current First Aid/CPR certification, current vulnerable sector screening (criminal background check), Car and valid driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract and $2M liability insurance required.
Regular shift work, Monday to Friday, flexibility to work occasional evenings and/or
Travel within York Region. Home Office: Markham, ON
What's in it for you?
Rewarding work with an opportunity to make a positive impact in a young person's life.
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with a competitive salary based on skills and experience. As an employer of choice, we reward our team with a total rewards package that includes:
- Extended health & dental.
- Long term disability, AD&D and Life Insurance.
- 3 weeks’ vacation/year on joining.
- 12 sick days a year.
- Birthday off with pay
- An environment that supports continuous learning.
- Opportunities for career growth.
- A positive staff culture that provides opportunities to connect with your coworkers such as our summer BBQs, holiday parties, and team-building events.
Upon joining 360°kids you'll be welcomed into a fun and collaborative environment where we truly value our employees and want to see them succeed.
360°kids is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. 360°kids offer accommodation for applicants in our recruitment process, if you are contacted regarding a job opportunity please advise if you require accommodation.