Based in a home office within the territory, the Petroleum Territory Sales Representative (PTSR) for the Central Canada territory is responsible for representing and growing the engineered-to-order (ETO), modified-to-order (MTO) and off-the-shelf (OTS) welded tank business for AGI Westeel and secondarily searching out new dry material handling storage opportunities as part of the greater AGI Industrial initiative. The main PTSR function is identify, foster and close a wide variety of opportunities both within the existing AGI Westeel dealer network and with prospects. Prominent in the position summary, the PTSR:
- Promotes/sells/secures orders from existing and prospective customers through a relationship-based approach.
- Reviews customer needs and recommends the best options based on these needs, our manufacturing capabilities and regulatory limitations.
- Demonstrates/describes products and services to existing/potential customers and assists them in selecting those best suited to their needs.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Establishes, develops and maintains business relationships with current customers and prospective customers in the assigned territory to generate new business for AGI Westeel’s petroleum tank business and, secondarily, AGI’s Industrial initiative.
- Makes telephone calls, emails and in-person visits and presentations to existing and prospective customers.
- Researches sources for developing prospective customers and for information to determine their potential.
- Develops clear and effective written proposals/quotations for current and prospective customers.
- Analyzes the territory’s potential and determines the value of existing and prospective customers’ value to the organization.
- Reviews past order history with dealers.
- Reviews order activity rates – at least quarterly – to determine if actual results are in line with expectations. Revises forecast as necessary and forwards to direct manager.
- Develops an annual territory plan designed to meet territory sales objectives.
- Creates and manages a customer value plan for existing customers highlighting profile, share and value opportunities.
- Identifies advantages and compares organization’s products.
- Plans and organizes personal sales strategy by maximizing the Return on Time Investment for the territory.
- Supplies direct manager with oral and written reports on customer needs, problems, interests, competitive activities, and potential for new products and services.
- Keeps abreast of product applications, technical services, market conditions, competitive activities, advertising and promotional trends.
- Participates in trade shows, customer events and conventions (planning/set-up/exhibiting/tear-down).
- Maintains and regularly updates customer information files to ensure they remain current.
- Evaluates product knowledge and selling skills of customer personnel. Provides training as required.
- Evaluates customer personnel, responsible for shipping/receiving, to ensure proper loading and storage techniques are used. Provides training as required.
- Delivers training on new products and selling techniques in accordance with established company guidelines.
- Provides product specific training, and tailored training to meet local market needs.
- Expedites the resolution of customer problems and complaints.
- Other duties as assigned.
PTSR customer responsibilities do not include OTS tanks sold to major strategic retail partners including Peavey Industries, Tractor Supply Company, Federated Co-op, United Farmers of Alberta, Nutrien and Flaman Sales. The PTSR retains ETO and MTO tank sales responsibility for these customers as required and directed by the direct manager and other sales groups.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in a relevant field
- 5+ years experience in technical or B2B sales with preference given to those with direct refined petroleum markets experience, industrial storage products experience and/or experience selling ETO/CTO products within highly competitive markets
- Demonstrated aptitude for problem solving
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office products
- Proficiency with CRM systems
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Team Player
- Time management and ability to work independently
- Valid driver’s license
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Outside Sales: 5 years (Preferred)