We Never Say No. We Never Give up. We Never Turn Anyone Away.
Wood’s Homes is a multi-service, nationally accredited non-profit children’s mental health centre based in Calgary. Today we have over 500 employees and provide more than 40 programs for 28,000 children and their families each year in Calgary, Lethbridge, Strathmore, and Fort McMurray.
Commitment to high-risk adolescents, challenged with some very tough issues, is not easy. These are the times when our frontline workers spring into action. The type of work we do requires quick thinking, confidence, forgiveness and persistence.
We are currently seeking 2* full-time Youth & Family Counsellor I or II for the Youth Connections: Housing First Program. *This program a short-term place for young people to stay who are not living at home for various reasons, or who are struggling with family or placement conflict.
The Youth and Family Counsellor acts as the primary worker for youth who would need one on one support with job planning, employment options and skill development assessments. The Youth and Family Counsellor is a contributing member of a team and is required to work various hours, including evenings and weekends.
This position reports to the Team Leader.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Support for youth.
- Must be an effective, mature and appropriate role model for each resident.
- Provide opportunity to engage in meaningful daily activities.
- Contributing to the provision of a safe and clean environment where basic needs are met.
- Client work which includes crisis counseling, and intake and discharge planning and procedures.
- Youth work which involves a strength based, youth positive approach to re-engagement, problem solving, skill building and mentorship.
- Participating in supervisory and team meetings, retreats, planning sessions, and in-service training.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION:
- Diploma or Undergraduate Degree in the Social Sciences, Child and Youth Care, Nursing
- Minimum two (2) years of related experience in working with at-risk youth
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Personal suitability is an important consideration.
Wood’s Homes is proud to be awarded one of the 100 Best Places to Work in Canada for 2011 and 2012, as well as one of Canada’s Best Workplaces for Women in 2011. We offer an exceptional benefits package including vision, dental, extended health, a generous Group Registered Pension Plan and a Computer Literacy Incentive Plan.
Please submit a resume to Wood’s Homes – Human Resources Department (Parkdale Campus) via email. Please quote competition code ‘Last Name, First Name, Lethbridge YFC FT’ in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please visit us at www.woodshomes.ca for more information about our organization.
Job Type: Full-time