1309 Carling Ave, Ottawa, Ontario, K1Z 7L3
Join a locally owned and operated store to help deliver health, beauty and convenience services in your community, and keep the customer at the centre of everything you do.
Why this role is important?
To assist the Front Store Manager (FSM) in managing the human, physical and financial resources of the Food department operations to ensure departmental and store objectives are achieved.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Role models best practice customer service at Shoppers Drug Mart
- Manages the daily operational resources (human, physical, financial) of the Food department following the Store Standards
- In collaboration with FSM, set goals and objectives for the Food department
- Orders product and works with FSM to maintain balanced inventory
- Achieves and supports shrink initiatives, including rotating stock, removing discontinued product, and pricing strategy
- Works with FSM to ensure pricing and ticketing of merchandise is correct
- Ensures food safety standards are achieved
- Successfully completes and passes the foodwise handling certified course
- Ensures tasks get accomplished in a timely fashion
- Ensures that exceptional customer service is provided beyond expectation, as outlined in operational procedures guidelines
- Assists FSM to ensure all product-related processes are implemented effectively
- Answers inquiries (ie. location of product, rain checks) and resolves customer complaints according to guidelines
- Demonstrates product knowledge and familiarity with location of products
- Empowers employees to ensure customer satisfaction
- Ensures employees present proper image to the public in accordance with Uniform Policy and Dress Code Guidelines (i.e. clean appearance, approved uniform, name badge)
MARKETING AND MERCHANDISING
- Spotlights new or exclusive products at daily huddles
- Assists the FSM in adherence to all marketing programs and initiatives, which may include:
- Retail price management
- Planograms, core programs, and merchandising techniques
- Flyer implementation and local advertising initiatives
- Works with FSM to ensure signage in the store reflects current programs, policies, and procedures
- Creates and maintains proper displays to reflect seasonal/promotional programs and ensures value events are set-up and taken down according to schedule
- Maintains store image standards as outlined in Operating Standards
- Orders stock in absence of FSM
- Assists in the hiring process for Food department (recommends to FSM and/or Associate)
- Ensures employees are properly trained in all aspects of their role and provides on-going coaching and instructions
- Assists in ongoing employee performance management and development, including performance reviews, progressive discipline with FSM
- Complies with employment legislation
- Ensures employees comply with all policies and procedures
- Works with the FSM on scheduling needs for the department
- Supports the FSM/Associate as required with WFM processes including (but not limited to) review, editing and authorizing Timesheets, Schedule modifications and approving time-off requests
- Assists in achieving projected sales growth targets
- Assists in reduction of shrink and damages
- Complies with all health and safety regulations
- Complies with all store policies and procedures
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned by FSM and/or Associate
- Maintains confidentiality in all manners pertaining to Shoppers Drug Mart Franchised business and its operation
- Ensures Store Standards are followed
- Complies with loss prevention policies and procedures and ensures they are executed in the department
- Provides support to all department employees and other non-Rx parties within the store, as required
- Provides direction under the guidance of the FSM
- Planning, Judgement and Decision Making
- Independent thinking and decision making – Makes decisions when dealing with issues or problems that occur when the FSM is not available. Consultation with the FSM for significant changes.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and delegate assignments as well as the ability to provide coaching to employees
- Planning and preparation for Inventory management
- Monitor service levels on SKUs to control inventory
- Identify overstock and develop a clearance strategy
- Identify and recognize superior performance of employees
- Work with FSM to create in-store training program for employees
- Work with FSM to achieve financial goals for the business
- Use judgment and decision making skills to control expenses
- Previous retail work experience specific to produce, cold deli, hot deli and/or meat
- Experience in a fresh retail department including knowledge of purchasing, pricing and financial analysis
- Knowledge of applicable legislation as it pertains to the retail food industry, i.e. Food Premises Regulation (food safety), Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, etc.
- Has demonstrated ability to drive the business and lead by example
- Supports all Corporate programs within the business
- Ability to prioritize activities quickly in response to changing initiatives
- Must work effectively with all Employees and management teams
- Superior interpersonal and coaching skills
- Supervisory experience
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Efficient time management ability
- Financial analysis ability
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Effective organization and planning skills
- Computer literacy
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
- Ability to work flexible shifts which may include nights and weekends
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to climb ladder
The above statement reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions and duties as required for proper evaluation of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Why work in a Shoppers Drug Mart store?
Each store has an Associate-Owner, so you will work for a local business owner while having the support of a national brand. Benefit from a purchase discount program, flexible and varied schedules, competitive pay and online learning through SDMU.
Take ownership of your work and find more ways to care about your patients, co-workers, customers and community.
Associate Owners in the Shoppers Drug Mart network recognize Canada's diversity as an opportunity to better serve their communities, and strive to reflect the nation’s evolving diversity in the products they sell, the people they hire, and the culture they create in their stores. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Job Type: Full-time
- Management: 1 year (Preferred)