Vesalius is a preclinical medical device company based in Vancouver, Canada. We are developing a solution that can treat a very common heart valve disease, without surgery.
We are seeking a dynamic R&D Engineer to join our well established and result driven engineering team. This is an opportunity to work in a very dynamic, creative, and highly collaborative environment.
The R&D Engineer will be responsible for the detailed design, prototype fabrication, and verification of novel medical devices, fixturing, and tooling. This is a challenging role requiring strong familiarity with transcatheter approaches and a proven knowledge of the cardiovascular space.
Under the direct supervision of the engineering manager and continuous clinical guidance from our specialized physicians, the R&D Engineer’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Establishing design specifications to meet device requirements.
- Hands-on prototype development with rapid iteration on designs using in-house tooling.
- Initiating and developing relationships with 3rd party vendors, contractors and manufacturers.
- Verification of designs through ex vivo and in vivo testing.
- Engineering documentation creation.
- Leading multiple projects.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical/Biomedical Engineering. A Master’s degree is a plus.
- A minimum of 5 years in the medical device industry or equivalent.
- Experience in structural-heart related medical devices is considered a very strong asset.
- A Start-up experience (working in a fast-paced environment) is a plus.
- Good working knowledge of medical device quality & regulatory systems and medical device directives.
- Familiarity with design and testing requirements of medical devices (ISO 13485, ISO 5910).
- Machine shop experience: milling machines, lathes, drills, grinders, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team and conduct exploration of subject areas for novel approaches.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to translate clinical requirements into engineering solutions.
- Excellent technical writing skills, and strong ability to understand and analyze technical documents.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Strong CAD/design skills and mechanical aptitude.
- Good interpersonal skills with a growth mindset.
- Adaptable to changing priorities and requirements.
- Ability to wear multiple hats and balance multiple projects.
Compensation & Benefits
Vesalius offers an attractive compensation package with health benefits and potential for stock options. In parallel, our engineering lab is centrally located (Broadway Corridor) and is:
- Easily accessible by transit
- In proximity to full-service gyms (including 1 in the building), numerous green spaces and restaurants.
- A fun and relaxed work environment with an active and sociable team.
Please include a cover letter (to be considered for this role) and any examples of previous design work with your application.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- Stock options
- Vision care
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- medical device: 5 years (preferred)