Reports To: Manager of Cognitive Care
Type: F/T, Non-Union, Temporary Mat Leave Contract
Hours of Work: 75hrs Bi-weekly
Note: Role requires evening and weekend and flexibility in hours, as required, to address issues/needs as they arise
Trinity Village/Lutheran Homes KW is seeking a person whose leadership and experience in social work, counselling, and advocacy will ensure care for our elders is delivered to the highest level of practices and standards to fill in for a one year maternity leave.
The person must have integrity and discernment that ensures the care provided is
inclusive and respectful of all people, their needs, and their lifestyle.
The Social Worker supports and fosters a holistic, person and elder-centered approach that includes advocacy, support, education, communication and liaising with family and staff. The Social Worker works collaboratively with the Manager of Cognitive Care, BSO Program, and other disciplines, teams and staff to ensure the mental health and welfare of each elder is taken care of. The role strives to promote an optimal quality of life for elders and ensures that they are treated with dignity and respect, having their rights honoured.
- Acts as the advocate for elder mental health in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team from a Social Work perspective
- Provides education, coaching, counselling, and care for elders, families, and staff regarding mental health and well-being.
- Adhere to Trinity Village/LHKW's Mission, Vision, and Values
- Ensure adherence to: Eden Alternative Philosophy of Care, Green Environmental Initiatives, and CARF Accreditation standards
- Maintain attitudes, behaviours, and actions that ensure the safety of residents, staff, and visitors at all times
- Be familiar with and adhere to the Resident’s Bill of Rights as dictated by the Long-Term Care Homes Act
- Remain compliant to all legislative bodies as required by Trinity Village/LHKW for the role of Social Worker
- Maintain professional standards and certification as required for the role of Social Worker
DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Psycho-social knowledge and support in all aspects of the elder care
- Provide support and adjustment counseling for elders and/or their families
- Counsel elders and families through various sources of stress, such as health, losses, transitions, etc.
- Provide ongoing assessment of need, counseling, mediation and advocacy
- Assist in the development of communication strategies for elders and their families
- Actively engage with outside agencies and community groups as resources to offer supports to elders
- Liaise on behalf of elders as it pertains to issues related to Powers of Attorney, Substitute Decision Makers, The Consent and Capacity Board, the Public Guardian and Trustee and/or determination of Decisional Capacity.
- Staff liaison and support to the Family Council
- Facilitate Caregiver Support Groups and training sessions
- Provide tours of the facility and educate elders and family members regarding the facility and services
- Member of Palliative Care, Behaviour Support Ontario, and Ethics Committees
- Facilitate Care Conferences to provide Social Work updates and consultation
· Calm, patient listener with strong assessment skills
· Excellent oral and written communication
· Attention to detail and reporting
· Positive & Professional
· Inclusive of others
· Intermediate computer skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Bachelors or Masters Degree in Social Work required
· Certificate in Dementia Care or Gerontology preferred
· Gentle Persuasion Approach preferred
· PIECES training preferred
· Validation Therapy Coach and/or Trainer Certification in Positive Approach to CareTM preferred
· Minimum 2 years experience with clients in long-term care and community living with dementia required
· Minimum six (6) months experience in non-pharmacological approaches to dementia required
· Clear Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check and clear 2-Step TB tests prior to start date
· Annual Flu Shot Required – unless medical documentation provided prior
We want to thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, a request for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process. Applicants are required to provide their accommodation needs in advance. For disability-related accommodation, please provide documentation from the applicants' treating physician, outlining functional limitations are related to the role.
Contract length: 12 months
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $55,000.00-$65,000.00 per year
- Social Work: 1 year (Required)
- Long-term Care : 1 year (Required)