The Ottawa Police Service is a progressive employer that believes in, promotes, and demonstrates the values of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) as a priority, and that it welcomes recruits, officers, civilian members and volunteers from diverse faiths and backgrounds, which is provided for within policies and practices, and includes religious symbols.
The Ottawa Police Service is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that reflects the diverse population it serves. The OPS encourages applications from all qualified individuals
1 Temporary Position and multiple casual positions
Available until December 31, 2020
With possibility of extension and additional casual, temporary, or permanent positions
- Assess incoming telephone calls, Voice Recording Queue, TTY, and online reports to confirm they are non-emergency in nature and determine the intent / need of the caller (i.e., a call to be transferred, a police report to be generated, emergency assistance or a general inquiry) in a logical, efficient and calm manner.
- Work in partnership with various sections within OPS (including but not limited to; Communication Centre, Patrol, District, Traffic, FOI, etc) to ensure appropriate responses to inquiries and requests for service.
- Mitigate risk and exercise sound judgement to maintain a high standard of service, preserving public confidence.
- Assess and transfer to Communication Centre life or death emergencies; except in the event of a suicidal caller where immediate assistance is required and risks managed immediately.
- Generate accurate police reports using the Records Management System (RMS) or other designated OPS software by gathering information over the phone or by using information generated from reports submitted online from members of the public in accordance with OPS Policies and Procedures.
- Respond to all messages in the PRU voicemail queue & Online Reporting System as per OPS Call Response Protocol.
- Answer / redirect public inquiries and redirect non-police matters to appropriate agencies (including but not limited to; City of Ottawa, Ontario Landlord and Tenant Board, credit bureaus, civil matters, etc.).
- Perform CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) queries ensuring the queries correlate with information required for the PRU Agents Report.
- Provide appropriate information to the public regarding their reports while adhering to the Freedom of Information Acts and in accordance with OPS policies Testify in court as required.
- Train and / or assist in the training of new PRU personnel.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience
Secondary School Graduate – Grade 12 or equivalent plus one (1) year relevant post secondary education.
- Experience and formal training combined may substitute for stipulated education requirements.
- Minimum one (1) year previous related work experience (i.e. working in a Call Centre environment or other Customer Service environment).
- Bilingualism (French and English) fluency in oral, reading and writing is required.
Candidates may be required to provide a certificate of achievement at their own expense from the current OPS approved testing facility for:
Advanced Level 2 proficiency in French - oral expression, oral comprehension & written comprehension.
Intermediate 3 Proficiency in French expression written.
Federal Government Level C (Oral, written, and comprehension).
Application and Selection Process
Your application must be received electronically through the applicant tracking system and must include:
- A cover letter and detailed resumé;
- Any required proof of certification for the position (see job description for requirements)
The successful completion of any phase of the application process does not guarantee proceeding to the next phase.
The majority of communications will be done via email. Please ensure that you are checking your junk and spam mail as well.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required. Accessible formats and communication support are available upon request. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Additional information about our hiring process can be found on the web site www.ottawapolice.ca
Please direct any questions to the CivilianStaffing@ottawapolice.ca