Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
Evergreen is seeking a Retail Associate for our Garden Market to assist with the upcoming busy holiday season. The Retail Associate will be assisting the public in finding the perfect Christmas trees. This includes lifting, providing a fresh cut and tying Christmas trees to cars. It is physically demanding and occurs in all weather conditions. Weekend and weekday evening shifts are required.
We highly encourage applicants to be between 18 and 30 (inclusive) years of age at the start of the employment, full-time students in the previous academic year and intending to return to school in fall 2019, and legally entitled to work in Canada. This opportunity is funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Summer Work Experience Program in order to provide students with valuable experience in the green jobs sector.
The Garden Market Retail Associate provides our visitors with outstanding customer service that brings Evergreen’s vision of a mission-driven retail and educational garden centre to life. We seek to inspire Torontonians to live sustainably in their home and garden.
1. Plant Knowledge, Care and Maintenance
- Native/Non-Native plant identification and knowledge
- Provide expert plant recommendations to customers for their food and/or native plant gardens
- Assist in plant maintenance and care
- Identify pests and diseases on plants and recommend Integrated Pest Management steps
2. Cash Handling
- Accurately operate a computerized POS system and with cash handling
- Troubleshoot Point of Sale issues such as error messages, mislabeled items, etc.
- Accurately record keep in relation to cash procedures
- Lead the proper procedures for opening and closing the store including float retrieval and return, cash deposit drops and credit/debit procedures
3. Sales and Customer Service
- Provide friendly and enthusiastic customer service to guests
- Respond in a timely fashion to messages left on both store phone line and garden market email box.
4. Volunteers and Education
- Work alongside volunteers
- Assist with set up and clean-up of workshops
- Assist in delivery of seminars and workshops
5. Custodial Duties and Other Duties
- Thoroughly carry out custodial tasks
- Respond as directed during emergency situations (ie. flood escalation, lost child, etc.)
- Calm under pressure. Demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Supervised by: Associate Manager, Evergreen Garden Market
- Supervises: volunteers
- Experience in retail sales, preferably garden centres
- Knowledge of plant material, particularly native plants
- A keen eye and understanding towards merchandising
- Experience in operating a computerized POS system and with cash handling
- Experience in record keeping in relation to cash procedures
- Working outdoors in inclement weather (summer heat, winter cold)
- Required to work days, evenings, and weekends as scheduled
- CSA approved Safety Shoes/Boots are required
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting heavy objects over 25lbs on a regular basis
- Doing repetitive tasks with few breaks
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail.
Please Reference “Retail Associate” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
Job Type: Contract