The Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board
Invites applications for the position of Classroom Aide
Under the supervision of the Principal and direction of the teacher, the Classroom Aide will supervise and support students to ensure a safe and secure environment at all times when Student Support Persons (SSP) and Designated Early Childhood Educators (DECE) are absent and unavailable.
The Classroom Aide will assist with the instructions taught in the classroom to students by reviewing lessons and/or concepts with students individually or in a small group. The Classroom Aide will also promote positive behaviour, as well as assist and supervise students in the classroom, outside the classroom on the playground, and on field trips.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports to the Principal and performs duties as assigned by the Principal with respect to students and supervision duties
- Be available on short notice to replace absent SSP’s and DECE on an emergency when qualified SSP or DECE is unavailable
- Supervise students in the classroom and other indoor and outdoor spaces ensuring a safe, secure and engaging learning environment at all times
- Promote positive attitudes towards encouraging enthusiasm for learning
- Demonstrate effective problem-solving skills, patience and flexibility
- Be aware of specific student’s medical/behaviour situations and keep such information strictly confidential
- Assist and instruct students with technology and lessons taught in the classroom
- Encourage student independence
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Post-secondary education relating to children and youth is preferred
- Successful completion of Grade 12 education or equivalent is required
- Prior experience (paid or volunteer) working with children is a strong asset
- Ability to follow instructions and use initiative
- Ability to read and understand student safety and/or behaviour plans and alert teacher and/or principal where necessary
- Effective communication, organizational and interpersonal skills are essential
- Possess an understanding of and a willingness to support the mission of the Thunder Bay Catholic School Board
The successful applicant will be required to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening document deemed satisfactory to the Board.
Applicants are required to submit a completed application for Non-Educational Positions (https://www.tbcschools.ca/application/files/2214/8846/7717/Application-Non-Education.pdf),
cover letter, résumé, and references no later than 4:00pm on December 31, 2019 to the:
Employee Services Department
Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board
459 Victoria Avenue West
Thunder Bay, ON P7C 0A4
The Catholic Education Centre of the Thunder Bay Catholic School Board is a Scent Safe Environment
If you require accommodations at any time throughout the application process, please contact Employee Services prior to the posting closing date so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
Job Type: Casual