Join a team that shares your passion and enthusiasm for Canadian grain! New-Life Mills, a division of Parrish & Heimbecker, Limited (P&H), has an opportunity for an organized, self-motivated and attentive individual to bring their skills and experience to a fast-paced environment in the role of Dispatcher, based in either Listowel or Denfield, Ontario.
Make a Difference
This position gives you the ability to play a key role in Canada’s dynamic grain industry while maintaining a healthy and fulfilling work/life balance.
Work and grow with a family-owned company.
New-Life Mills is an exciting place to develop and grow a career in agriculture and agricultural processing, supporting Canadian producers of poultry and livestock as well as producers who grow and sell their crops to global markets. A family-owned Canadian company with deep roots in grain trading, flour milling, animal feed production and live animal management, New-Life Mills has been serving the needs of livestock and poultry producers for more than 50 years.
P&H’s roots go back over 110 years, and we have always been a Canadian, family-owned and managed agri-business. Our corporate culture values are family values; honesty and integrity with a focus on listening and continuous learning. Like family, we support our staff to always do better.
Skills and experience for the next step in your career.
Do you enjoy the challenge of “putting together the puzzle” that is dispatch in a busy and ever-changing delivery environment? In the role of Dispatcher, you are responsible for the leadership and administration of New-Life Mills’ truck fleet at the Listowel and Denfield locations. You will oversee staffing, scheduling, hours of service, and coordination of efficient delivery of finished product; maximizing the cost-efficiency of deliveries, while meeting customer expectations for accurate and on-time delivery. Responsible for building and maintaining relationships with delivery employees, you are a key member of the customer service team. With 2 dispatcher roles, you will work rotating shifts (days and evenings) to provide dispatch and on call coverage (will include weekend on call).
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining an understanding of process flow for orders (incoming calls, typing, checking, pulling from system for pre-dispatch, dispatch).
- Proactively setting up truck dispatch for each day to facilitate early loading of available trucks and maximize haul back opportunities on incoming ingredients (working days ahead to assist with production planning and plant operations).
- Monitoring drivers' daily logs for errors or violations and monitoring their working hours, drivers log, driver destination sheets, CVOR and equipment availability.
- Serving as a reliable point of contact to balance drivers' health and safetywith customer requirements.
- Coordinating and managing the most efficient loads to remain cost-effective as a company; combining shipments based on their routes and timeline to minimize how many trucks and drivers are out.
- Coordinating and using Omnitracs (GPS tracking) – truck location, macros, communication with drivers and reporting.
- Coordinating with Plant Production to determine estimated manufacturing times for feed orders.
- Supporting the scheduling of fleet for regular service to meet the intervals required under transportation policy and to promote a safe and efficient fleet.
- Being familiar with Specialized Feed Delivery Equipment – number of compartments, bulk capacity by texture, ability for bags, auger vs blower, etc.
- Understanding geography of customers as it impacts efficient delivery.
- Scheduling haul back of raw ingredients (familiarity with supplier locations, loading times, etc.)
- Understanding biosecurity procedures, requirements and specialty feed programs, and the protocols with respect to sequencing and flushing.
- Reacting appropriately to “emergency” delivery decisions.
- Overseeing pre-trip inspection/schedule 1 (major and minor issues); documenting correction of major issues.
- Managing driver scheduling, time off requests and bi-weekly payroll administration.
- Performance monitoring and coaching; mentoring new employees and executing driver training.
- Scheduling and oversight of health and safety training.
- Completing periodic truck inspections.
- Liaising with customer service on delivery changes and delivery times.
- Participating in Workplace Health & Safety Committee and Transportation Committee.
The successful candidate should enter the position with the following qualifications:
- A college diploma in transportation/logistics or supply chain management, or equivalent experience
- Experience driving truck is considered an asset
- An agriculture background with knowledge of feed ingredients and medications is considered an asset
- Ability to identify key issues and overcome internal challenges or obstacles creatively and strategically
- A clear and solid understanding of personnel policies, practices, procedures and other operational issues faced by the organization
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- A high level of integrity, confidentially and accountability
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization and execution skills
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills, particularly MS Office
- On call availability for after-hours delivery- and customer service-related emergencies
To apply, please visit our career website: http://parrishandheimbecker.com/career_all. We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
New-Life Mills, a division of Parrish & Heimbecker, Limited, is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that is reflective of Canadian society. As a result, New-Life Mills is an equal opportunity employer and is in compliance with the Employment Equity Act. We welcome applications from men, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of visible minorities. Accommodations in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.
Learn more about us at www.parrishandheimbecker.com or www.newlifemills.com.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent