Position Title: Assistant Manager (Co-operatives)
Reports to: General Manager
Locations: Baker Laker NU, Cambridge Bay NU, Deline NT
This position requires relocation to Nunavut and Northwest Territories. Expenses WILL be covered.
The compensation package for permanent AMs includes: competitive salary, subsidized housing, relocation assistance, Northern Living Allowance, annual vacation, Northern Travel Allowance, an employer-matched pension and a comprehensive group benefits plan.
The community owned Co-operatives in the Arctic are multi-purpose businesses that provide a wide range of services to their members and their communities. Services provided by local Co-ops include retail stores, hotel and tourism operations, cable television, arts and craft marketing, fuel distribution, construction & heavy equipment services, property rental and a variety of agency type services (such as Canada Post, taxi service).
Please see below for the full job description, qualifications ...
Reporting to the General Manager, the Assistant Manager will be a key player on the Management Team. The Assistant Manager will participate with the General Manager in the management and control of all Divisions and Departments of the Co-operative, with the primary responsibilities focusing on the various retail activities of the Co-operative. The Assistant Manager will be responsible for assisting in various retail activities of the Co-operative. The Assistant Manager will be responsible for assisting in overseeing and managing the day-to-day operations of the Co-operative. Key accountabilities include managing on a day-to-day basis the retail store; supervision of staff, training and development of local staff, achieving specific financial performance targets of the store, and providing excellent member service. A principal objective is to ensure that all the local staff are thoroughly trained in their areas of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist General Manager in all aspects of the operation and control of the various business units of the Co-op including the Retail Store(s), Hotel/Restaurant, Coffee Shop, Petroleum Distribution, Cable Services, and various contract agreements.
- To work closely with GM in sharing information and expertise so that the management team understands all aspects of the business.
- To manage on a day-to-day basis the retail store(s) by:
- Order inventory when required to ensure the shelves are restocked on a daily basis;
- Ensure inventory counts and plan an organized system for receiving of stock;
- Coordinate the collection of freight;
- Provide top quality customer service by ensuring Co-op Members and customers receive a positive, pleasant shopping/service experience;
- Ensure the retail store operates in a safe, professional manner at all times and that all regulations and legislated standards are adhered to;
- Work in the office area to ensure an understanding of the Point of Sale System – giving advice, supervision and training to employees of the Co-operative.
- To assist the General Manager in the public relations and communications of the association.
- To assist in the control of the Co-op operations by supervising sales, purchases, services, and contract work.
- To prepare reports and when requested by the General Manager, attend meetings of the Board of Directors.
- To assist in the control and supervision of the credit, operation and personnel policies of the association.
- To schedule and supervise staff to ensure proper service is provided and financial targets are achieved.
- To assist in all human resource matters concerning hiring, training, appraising, promoting, demoting or firing of Co-operative employees.
- As part of the management team of Igloolik Co-operative Ltd., this position has irregular hours of work. Work scheduled will be based on the needs and requirements of the membership and the unique nature of the Co-operatives' business environment.
- To assume the duties of the General Manager when so assigned.
- To perform other duties as required for the proper management of the association.
- Three to five years retail management experience in food and non-food operations.
- Knowledge and experience in a computerized environment, including the operation and administration of Point of Sale (POS) computer systems.
- Proficient in office software packages including word processing, spreadsheets, etc.
- Strong financial management skills including the ability to review and analyze financial statements.
- Ability to manage inventory levels, order stock and price products to achieve gross margin targets;
- Excellent people management skills including the ability to recruit, hire, train, motivate, evaluate, correct, develop, and increase staff performance in a cross-cultural environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to speak and write Inuktitut would be considered a definite asset.
- Experience and understanding of co-operatives and working with Boards of Directors would be an asset.
- Extended hours of work, including 10-12 hours per day, 5-6 days per week are not unusual in a retail operation due to the multi-faceted nature of the Co-operative.
- Access to medical facilities is limited with many locations only having a nurse station.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Permanent
Salary: $55,000.00-$75,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- Are you willing to relocate to Nunavut or Northwest Territories?
- Retail Management: 1 year (preferred)