Date: Sep 21, 2021
Location: Waterloo, CA
Company: Wilfrid Laurier University
Department: Office of the VP Teaching&Learning
Job Type: Continuing
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time ( >=1249 hrs/year)
Reports to: Director, Accessible Learning Centre
Employee Group: WLUSA
Application Deadline: September 26, 2021
Requisition ID: 1364
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier’s thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as locations in Kitchener and Toronto. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
This full time continuing position will provide reception and administrative support for the Accessible Learning Centre. This position ensures the provision of excellence in customer service through all initial contacts with students, faculty and staff by telephone, email or in person. Acting as an information hub, the incumbent is responsible for disseminating information on programs offered through the centre, assisting students with navigating the ALC system and responding appropriately to faculty questions and concerns. This position will ensure a seamless response process for all customer service issues and concerns presented in the main office or via email. The incumbent will collect all relevant information and discern when issues need to be elevated to respective program areas or to management.
This position provides a variety of administrative functions to all programs offered through the Centre. The incumbent will also provide coverage support to the ALC note taking and tutoring programs during the intersession and summer terms.
- Provide resource support to students, parents, guidance counsellors (specifically during the Transition program in the summer), faculty and staff about ALC processes; ensure access to any need for navigation support.
- Provide front line reception responsible for all phone in, walk in and electronic communication inquiries from students and the university campus at large.
- Disseminate program information and ALC systems navigation support to students as needed
- Screens and forwards if necessary all emails that come through the central email system. Responds appropriate and gathers additional information to assist with any conflict resolution requirements.
- Schedule appointments with Accessible Learning Centre staff, assesses requests according to urgency and need.
- Respond to questions from faculty in response to email sent at the beginning of each term regarding students who are registered with the ALC.
- Participate with ALC staff in updating policies and procedures.
- Initiate the intake process with new students, collects information and forwards to consultants for full intake for assessment; respond to any questions raised prior to the intake assessment process. Provide support to the consultants with any additional data/information gathering needs.
- Ensure a supportive response to students presenting to the ALC in a crisis; connect with a disability consultant to ensure as needed crisis assessment is completed.
- Process express registration requests for returning students, ensure students are provided with all booking deadlines, and schedule appointments with consultants.
- Ensure the security of confidential student information presented verbally, or in written or electronic format.
- Coordinate all MBA exam bookings.
- Coordinate registration and exam bookings for all students who are cross-registered and/or on a Letter Of Permission.
- Process and make recommendation for approval for all student requests for accessible parking permits.
- Ensure a secure storage of exams received from faculty.
- Support the education of students on the exam booking process, act as a front line response to all student questions related the exam booking process by accessing and reviewing available booking and student information (e.g. ALC identification access, responding to exam conflicts; queries from faculty etc).
- Seek support from the exam staff for complex trouble shooting issues.
- Coordinate and post the ALC exam schedules on the ALC website.
Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) Administration
- Provide administrative and organizational support (records and receipts) to the Bursary for Students with Disabilities Program, act as a liaison with Student Awards, reconcile receipts for processing with student awards, release cheques to students and ensures any repayments are processed through Student Awards.
Note Taking and Tutoring Administration
- Responds as back-up to Coordinator of Educational Supports to facilitate student access to the note taking and tutoring programs during the intersession and summer terms.
- Ensure access to mylearningspace, send recruitment notices to faculty.
General Office Administration
- Maintain an inventory of supplies, orders new supplies and other necessities as needed.
- Manage an internal email list for Accessible Learning Centre, sends messages and communication on behalf of the Centre to students and faculty.
- Maintain up to date resources by ordering publications, memberships and materials (in association with senior staff) for the Accessible Learning Centre’s resource collection.
- Provide training and orientation support to work study students and summer staff (at the ALC) and provide orientation support to new ALC staff.
- Record minutes at Accessible Learning Centre staff/ team meetings.
- Provide administrative support to the programs and the manager of the Accessible Learning Centre.
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal communication skills and responsiveness.
- Demonstrated understanding of disability issues, knowledge of useful strategies to support students with disabilities and the Accessibility with Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005.
- Demonstrated knowledge of university and community resources.
- Demonstrated crisis/conflict management skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with and supervising volunteers and student staff
- Ability to respond with effective time management, organization and problem solving skills in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated skills in providing administrative/secretarial support, able to take minutes at meetings.
- Demonstrated proficiency in word processing and data-entry using appropriate statistical software.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service.
- Capacity for team work, responsibility and confidentiality in a professional office.
- Completion of a post secondary degree with 1-2 years experience in a related field.
Position Grade: SH-06
Rate of Pay: $29.50 - 34. 70
Hours of Work:
This is a full-time, continuing position. The normal hours of work are 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. Monday to Friday.
After the initial interview, a shortlist of candidates will be asked to sign a waiver for the collection of personal information. Any offer of employment will be conditional on acceptable employment reference checks, criminal background check, psychological assessment for suitability as a Special Constable and successful completion of special constable training course.
All Laurier employees and students are required to comply with the University's Covid-19 mandatory vaccination policy. Prior to attending Laurier's campuses in-person, you must provide proof of your vaccination status. If you are not fully vaccinated and do not have an approved exemption based on medical/disability or religious beliefs/creed grounds, you will be expected to receive your second dose of the vaccine by no later than October 8, 2021. Prior to becoming fully vaccinated, you will be required to participate in and comply with the University's rapid testing program and follow all recommended additional health and safety protocols. Details about the mandatory vaccination requirements can be found on Laurier's website.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Equity, diversity and creating a culture of inclusion are part of Laurier’s core values and central to the Laurier Strategy. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any minority sexual and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives. Candidates from other equity deserving groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Equity & Accessibility. We have strived to make our application process accessible, however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources. Contact information can be found at careers.wlu.ca/content/How-to-Apply-/
Should you be interested in learning more about this opportunity, please visit www.wlu.ca/careers_ for additional information and the online application system. All applications must be submitted online. Please note, a CV and letter of introduction will be required in electronic form._
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations