Hours of Work:
Rotating Shifts & Extended Hours
Time of Day:
Days, Afternoons, Nights, Weekends, Holidays
6hr, 8hr, 12hr
The Men’s Addiction Service Hamilton is funded through the Ministry of Health and provides residential substance use withdrawal services and crisis support, as well as outpatient substance use support. Services are provided to males who are under the influence of a substance, in active withdrawal or in need of a temporary crisis admission. A team monitors withdrawal using standardized protocols, provides didactic and psycho-educational sessions, counseling sessions, comprehensive discharge planning and aftercare support services when indicated. Support and education are also provided to family members and other clinical supports.
The Addiction Attendant – Men’s Addiction Service is responsible for providing direct clinical care to clients. Clinical responsibilities include: initial screening; assessment; monitoring; providing advise and education regarding treatment options; formulating and documenting a comprehensive care plan and discharge plan in collaboration with the client; individual and group counseling and facilitation; crisis intervention; aftercare support, counseling and education of families and other client supports. Non-direct care responsibilities include meal preparation, light housekeeping, supply management and the maintenance of a safe efficient unit.
- 2 year community college Diploma in a Health or Social Service Program, with an addiction concentration
- Must have related experience working with men with substance use issues
- Must have a good knowledge of community resources, the substance use treatment network and evidence-informed practices for men using substances
- Demonstrated ability to work with men in crisis
- Current certificate in non-violent crisis intervention
- Current First Aid and CPR-Level HCP training
- Good problem solving skills are essential, as well as the ability to act on own initiative and accept responsibility
- Demonstrated ability and experience in relating to others in a compassionate, non-judgmental manner
- Attendants must have skills in managing personal stress
- Ability to do thorough and accurate recording. Good verbal and written communication skills.
- French language skills considered an asset.
- Attendants are required to assist clients in personal hygiene and some cleaning of the Men's Addiction Service
- Good performance and attendance record is essential
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include completion of client admission, monitoring of client withdrawal, facilitating groups, assisting in the development of client relapse prevention / treatment and recovery plans, including completion of standardized assessment tools, discharge procedures, and general supervision of the activities related to the efficient daily operation of the Centre.
HOURS OF WORK
Rotating shifts and extended hours - days, afternoons, nights, weekends, holidays
(plus 14% in lieu of benefits)
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
St. Joe’s fosters an environment where we celebrate diversity, where teams reflect the diversity of the community in which we serve, enhancing the connection to patients, clients, community, and each other.